New York News
Suspect in murder of Brooklyn boy deemed fit for trial
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The man accused of kidnapping and brutally murdering an 8-year-old boy in Brooklyn has been found competent to stand trial, a defense lawyer said Thursday.
Police say Aron confessed, but he then pleaded not guilty at last month's initial arraignment. That's when his lawyers said he is delusional and hears voices.
It was a claim that set off weeks of psychological evaluations in the hopes of an insanity defense, which the defense attorney Jennifer McCann said was still a possibility. The defense reportedly also wants to ask for a change of venue to get the trial away from Brooklyn, where they say the pool of potential jurors has been tainted.
Kletzky was abducted after he got lost on the way home from day camp on July 11. He was supposed to walk seven blocks to meet his mother, but he missed his turn and reportedly asked Aron for help.
new york city, brooklyn, leiby kletzky, levi aron, new york news
- Residents warned to look out for black ice
- AccuWeather: Still Some Slick Spots!
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Avonte's mother continues search with new headquarters
- Limited 7 train service on entire line
- Tourist who lost leg in taxi crash sues city
- Fire inside the Marriott Marquis in Times Square
- Man struck and killed by car on LIE
- Flu shots could be mandatory for NYC kids
- Photos: Nelson Mandela Memorial Service
- Photos: Viewer snow storm pictures
- WestJet plays Santa to 250 lucky passengers
- Photos: Technology Gift Guide