New York News
Aretha Franklin gives free Coney Island concert
CONEY ISLAND (WABC) -- Aretha Franklin performed a free concert on Coney Island Thursday night.
"The Queen of Soul" was in the County of Kings.
"I am so, so, so excited!" fan Diana Simmons said.
It was perfect: a cool night, thumping music and the diva of all divas.
"Hello Brooklyn! Your love is lifting me higher," Aretha Franklin sang.
Jacob Grumfeld, Robert Goldstein and Indy Bell were first in line, which earned them a spot front and center.
"I've been standing in line for six hours," Goldstein said.
"We've been here since 8 o'clock in the morning for Aretha Franklin in Brooklyn!" Bell said.
"I made it! 4:30 in the morning, I just can't wait to see her," Grumfeld added.
Joining the thousands of fans was Borough President Marty Markowitz, who was shaking his money maker, and Congressman Charles Rangel, who was clapping to the beat.
Aretha sang all her hits while fans mouthed each and every word.
The venue was at capacity, so fans sat on the boardwalk hoping to get a glimpse, but were thankful to hear a legend.
"I don't mind [being far away]," fan Lorna Jordan said. "As long as I know I'm in her company, I don't mind."
new york city, brooklyn, coney island, new york news, carolina leid
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx
- Malaysia Airlines says plane went missing 11 min ago
- Florida family falls ill after eating meat with LSD 3 min ago
- Wallington firefighter killed in blaze laid to rest
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- Bridget Kelly fights order to give up Bridgegate records
- Virus hijacks your computer till you pay
- Battling a third party energy company
- Carmen Berra, wife of Yogi Berra dies at 85 37 min ago
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos