New York News
Dad who put son in oven gets 4 mo. of weekends
STATEN ISLAND (WABC) -- A Staten Island man who beat his son, burning his hands on a stove and stuffing him an oven, will spend four months of weekends in prison.
Earlier this week, James Moss, 53, pleaded guilty to all seven counts of the indictment against him, including two counts of second-degree assault. On Friday, he was sentenced to four months of weekends at Rikers Island and five years probation.
Surprisingly, the victim was most influential in helping Moss avoid the maximum sentence of seven years in prison. Moss' son, 11-year-old Christopher, has reportedly forgiven his father and cried while speaking on his behalf. The boy's also spoke in favor of the father.
The incident happened on May 12, 2010 in Graniteville after Moss believed then 9-year-old Christopher stole $20 from his wallet.
Moss, who stands 6-foot-2 and weighs more than 270 pounds, first threatened to kill his small son, then brought the boy to the basement and stripped off all of his clothes.
He then dragged the naked boy to the kitchen, where he beat him on the back with a spatula.
After heating two burners on the stovetop, he forced the boy's hands on the burners and held them there until some of the charred skin began to peel off.
He then punched the boy in the face and shoved him into the oven.
Despite his son screaming and pleading to be let out, Moss held the oven door shut and threatened to turn it on.
He finally let the boy out and threw him, still naked, outside the front door.
The boy was eventually allowed back inside the house, but forced to sit on the floor, naked and crying, until his mother came home and took him to the hospital.
The boy was treated at the hospital for second and third-degree burns and abrasions on his back and knees.
"In over 15 years as a district attorney and an assistant district attorney, this was one of the most shocking and sadistic cases of child abuse I have ever prosecuted," Richmond County district attorney Daniel Donovan said.
new york city, staten island, child abuse, child injured, new york news
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash 7 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer 57 min ago
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park 48 min ago
- Missing autistic boy found in Brooklyn
- Employees terrorized; car parts stolen in Elizabeth store
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen
- New York-bound bus in wreck in Maryland 36 min ago
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby abduction
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire
- South Korea ferry captain arrested; death toll at 32 43 min ago
- Student suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
7 min ago