New York News
Girl, 10, killed in tragic Queens accident
ASTORIA, Queens (WABC) -- A tragic ending to the weekend in Queens after a 10-year-old girl was killed in an automobile accident.
Sabrina Mangos of Tennyson, Australia was a passenger in a van when it was involved in an accident with another vehicle.
The van flipped on its side, pinning the Mangos inside.
Witnesses ran to help the girl and tried to lift the van to free her.
Unfortunately, she did not survive.
"We think like it was our daughter. It was very sad," rescuer Bashkin Menhetan said.
Menhetan says that's how he and a handful of people found the superhuman strength to lift the full size van, turn it upright and pull out the girl who was trapped inside within seconds of hearing the impact.
"It was a big sound. A boom. We tried to rescue. I hit my head. Break the windows the glass," Menhetan said.
Witnesses say the van and a silver Nissan collided.
It crushed the front end of the Nissan and catupulted the van onto its side.
The driver of the car paced at that scene speechless.
"There was a family in this van. It was a very, very bad accident," eyewitness Alan Mushraful said.
"It's not easy in a moment like that, you don't know what to do. We were able to lift the car," rescuer Leandro Lopez said.
"She was quiet. She wasn't screaming. She was just bleeding," rescuer Miller Bermeo said.A 13-year-old was also hurt and was rushed to Elmhurst Hospital with head trauma.
new york city, astoria, queens, accident, new york news, carolina leid
- 3 hurt when I-5 bridge collapses into Washington river
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain continues
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Lingering flood waters create commuting headache
- Amanda Bynes arrested, allegedly tosses bong out window 12 min ago
- Man fatally stabbed during dispute in Chelsea 43 min ago
- Man beaten by subway performers on F train in Astoria 34 min ago
- Brooklyn robber terrorizing teens with knife, box cutter 14 min ago
- Police hunt for man targeting Queens change machines 45 min ago
- abcnews: Hurricane season could be 'extremely active'
- GMA's 2013 Summer Concert Series kicks off Friday
- Photos: I-5 Skagit River Bridge collapse
- Photos: Flash flooding in the New York area
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos