New York News
Civil lawsuit filed in Strauss-Kahn case
BRONX (WABC) -- A hotel maid who accuses ex-International Monetary Fund boss Dominique Strauss-Kahn of sexual assault sued him Monday, seeking unspecified damages.
Nafissatou Diallo accuses Dominique Strauss-Kahn of a "violent and sadistic attack" that robbed her of "her dignity as a woman."
Even as Manhattan District Attorney Cy Vance decides whether to go forward with a criminal case Diallo, in a civil suit, says Strauss-Kahn caused her "severe mental anguish and emotional distress from which she may never fully recover." She asks for a damage award of an unspecified amount.
The suit comes two weeks before Strauss-Kahn's next scheduled court date August 23. Prosecutors have been weighing "concerns" about Diallo's credibility.
Her civil suit portrays a David and Goliath encounter between "a man who had aspirations to become the next president of France" and "an innocent hardworking immigrant woman from Africa whom he had never met."
The suit is detailed and graphic in its description of Diallo's version of the encounter and its aftermath. It quotes from news accounts to demonstrate the "public humiliation, shame, scorn and disdain throughout the world" it says were brought to bear against her.
The play-by-play of the encounter is consistent with the version Diallo gave in her interview with ABC's Robin Roberts.
"I want to let people know the truth," Diallo said in the interview. "I have to tell the truth."
The suit notes, without specifics, alleged prior acts: "With violence and depravity in his heart and having the confidence of sexually assaulting other women in the past who did not immediately come forward Defendant Strauss-Kahn forced Ms. Diallo all the way to the back of the suite and down on her knees outside of a bathroom at the end of the corridor."
Diallo's attorneys are prepared to call as witnesses other women "who were sexually attacked" by Strauss-Kahn in hotel rooms, in apartments, at his place of business or "who were going about their normal day."
new york city, dominique strauss-kahn, new york news
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx 20 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- JFK baggage handlers charged with theft
- Victim in possible NYC 'knockout game' attack speaks out
- Wallington firefighter killed in blaze laid to rest 55 min ago
- Demolition underway after NJ fire; Questions linger
- Arrests in counterfeit health and beauty products case
- Bridget Kelly fights order to give up Bridgegate records
- Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- Lonely Michigan boy gets GMA surprise party 57 min ago
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Wallington firefighter killed in blaze laid...
55 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos