New York News
Elaine's restaurant memorabilia up for auction
NEW YORK -- Memorabilia from the famed New York City restaurant Elaine's is going up for auction next month.
The watering hole on Manhattan's Upper East Side was patronized by writers and celebrities including Kurt Vonnegut, Norman Mailer and Jackie Onassis. It shut its doors in May following restaurateur Elaine Kaufman's death last year.
An eclectic collection of art, barware and other items will be sold at the Doyle New York auction house Sept. 20.
Among the items will be the bar's vintage cash register and Table No. 1, a sought-after spot where patrons sat to see and be seen.
Two Andy Warhol prints and books signed by Richard Avedon, Katharine Hepburn and Truman Capote also are up for grabs.
The public can view the items at the auction house Sept. 17-19. A catalog is online at doylenewyork.com.
new york city, auction, new york news
- Jersey City water main break affecting service 13 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cold Wednesday, but warmup coming 23 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Twin babies tossed from fire in Bronx apartment 36 min ago
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky 34 min ago
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway
- 2 winning tickets sold in $636 million Mega Millions 33 min ago
- LI man to be arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults
- Multi-car pileup on Gowanus Expressway in Brooklyn
- Photos: Massive car pileup on Gowanus Expressway
- Victim in Short Hills Mall shooting laid to rest 34 min ago
- Video: Queens robber squirts clerk with lighter fluid
- Blind man and dog rescued off subway tracks
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky
34 min ago
- 2 winning tickets sold in $636 million Mega...
33 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cold Wednesday, but warmup...
23 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos