New York News
Accused child killer Levi Aron: "I just panicked."
KENSINGTON, Brooklyn (WABC) -- In an interview with the Daily News, Levi Aron refers to the brutal killing of eight year old Leiby Kletzky as "the incident."
The accused child killer hasn't spoken in his court appearances, but he's talked enough to incriminate himself in a written statement to investigators as well as a videotaped statement and now, this interview.
Aron's attorneys apparently didn't know about the interview he gave while being held at Rikers Island. Understandably, they're concerned because their client continues to dig a hole of guilt.
Regarding the day Levi Aron allegedly killed Leiby at the store clerk's Kensington home, he said: "It hurts too much to think about it." When pressed about why he did it, he responded: "I don't know what happened. I just panicked."
Aron earlier told investigators that he had seen fliers in the neighborhood about the missing child who disappeared walking home from day camp.
In the interview, Aron refused to apologize.
He also said again, "I sometimes hear voices."
Aron's attorneys have argued he is schizophrenic and delusional, but he has been found fit to stand trial.
In the interview, he was vague when pressed about Leiby Kletzky and wouldn't explain why he took him. He appeared ashamed and embarrassed, said he only remembered little things, and would never speak Leiby's name.
Interestingly, we've learned when Aron's attorneys interviewed him at Bellevue Hospital, where he was being evaluated, he also refused to mention Leiby's name. When one of his attorneys asked if it made him uncomfortable, he nodded yes.
It's certainly increasingly likely Aron's attorneys will consider an insanity defense.
new york city, leiby kletzky, levi aron, new york news, sarah wallace
- 1 dead in Midtown fire; Fire truck crash injures 2 11 min ago
- AccuWeather: Gorgeous day, then weather whiplash 48 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- School bus collides with taxi in Brooklyn
- Sketch released of suspect in Hoboken sex assault
- Nassau County employees protest wage freeze
- Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp closure begins
- Fed investigators probe Port Authority chairman
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- Malaysian plane mystery continues
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- Photos: Brooklyn school bus accident
- Photos: Weather whiplash
- AccuWeather: Gorgeous day, then weather...
48 min ago