New York News
F restored, Q line still down in Coney Island
CONEY ISLAND -- Beach-goers beware: subway service will be spotty in Coney Island this weekend.
A fire broke out on the roof of a signal room near the West 8th Street station on Friday evening, shutting down service on the F and Q lines.
MTA spokeswoman Deirdre Parker said the fire was out by 9 p.m.- but it was too late for repair workers to get up on the elevated tracks.
Workers started repairs at daybreak Saturday, restoring F service between Avenue X and Stillwell Avenue.
F service resumed as of 7: 20 p.m. Saturday.
Although the West 8th Street station will open for F customers, the upper level Q will remain closed while repairs to Q tracks continue.
Workers labored through the day to replace damaged tracks and ties, as well as the signal room roof.
The cause of Friday night's fire on the roof of the signal room near the West 8th Street station is still under investigation.
Service to the Q line in Brighton Beach is expected to resume later Saturday night.
Shuttle buses are running and the N and D lines at the nearby Stillwell Avenue stop were not affected.
For more information please visit http://www.mta.info
new york city, brooklyn, coney island, fire, subway, new york news
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx 13 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- JFK baggage handlers charged with theft
- Victim in possible NYC 'knockout game' attack speaks out
- Wallington firefighter killed in blaze laid to rest 22 min ago
- Demolition underway after NJ fire; Questions linger
- Arrests in counterfeit health and beauty products case
- Bridget Kelly fights order to give up Bridgegate records
- Virus hijacks your computer till you pay
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- Ukraine base in Crimea under siege 29 min ago
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Wallington firefighter killed in blaze laid...
22 min ago
- Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
29 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos