New York News
Truck crashes through building in Queens
MASPETH (WABC) -- A sanitation truck crashed through the wall of a building Wednesday morning, and dangled high above the ground for hours.
The FDNY arrived on the scene quickly and rescued the mechanic.
It took hours, though, to get the salt spreader safely back inside the garaged, directly back through the hole it created.
It was a delicate, carefully choreographed operation. Cranes slowly lifted up the dangling front end of the salt spreader and tow trucks inside the sanitation garage pulled the rig back in.
Below, onlookers gathered, mesmerized.
How half of this 16-ton salt spreader came to be hanging outside the maintenance garage is still the question. The sanitation department says their mechanic, 56-year-old Robert Legall, was performing some routine maintenance on the salt spreader this morning and somehow lost control of it. The rig crashed through the wall of the garage and was left dangling outside. Legall braced himself against the steering wheel inside the teetering truck until help arrived.
Firefighters rescued the trapped mechanic using their ladder and bucket. He was taken to Elmhurst Hospital and treated for neck and back injuries.
"We need to talk to him to get his statement about what happened," Sanitation Commissioner John Doherty said.
The department will also be examining that truck and trying to figure out what went wrong.
Two cranes took a few pieces off the truck so that it could fit back through the hole it created. Workers pushed the truck back inside the garage and they'll take it away from there.
new york city, maspeth, queens, accident, new york news, jamie roth
- Hospital warns of possible blood contamination
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- South Brunswick elderly couple robbed and scammed
- Store workers fight back during Bushwick robbery
- Fort Lee students to make up snow days
- Boy, 2, found with heroin at Paterson day care center
- Pharmacists accused in HIV medication scam
- Ferry service to resume between Haverstraw, Ossining
- Malaysia plane changed direction, military says
- Obama, in NYC for fundraising trip, shops at Gap
- Photos: Huge fire damages San Francisco building
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos