New York News
Truck crashes through building in Queens
MASPETH (WABC) -- A sanitation truck crashed through the wall of a building Wednesday morning, and dangled high above the ground for hours.
The FDNY arrived on the scene quickly and rescued the mechanic.
It took hours, though, to get the salt spreader safely back inside the garaged, directly back through the hole it created.
It was a delicate, carefully choreographed operation. Cranes slowly lifted up the dangling front end of the salt spreader and tow trucks inside the sanitation garage pulled the rig back in.
Below, onlookers gathered, mesmerized.
How half of this 16-ton salt spreader came to be hanging outside the maintenance garage is still the question. The sanitation department says their mechanic, 56-year-old Robert Legall, was performing some routine maintenance on the salt spreader this morning and somehow lost control of it. The rig crashed through the wall of the garage and was left dangling outside. Legall braced himself against the steering wheel inside the teetering truck until help arrived.
Firefighters rescued the trapped mechanic using their ladder and bucket. He was taken to Elmhurst Hospital and treated for neck and back injuries.
"We need to talk to him to get his statement about what happened," Sanitation Commissioner John Doherty said.
The department will also be examining that truck and trying to figure out what went wrong.
Two cranes took a few pieces off the truck so that it could fit back through the hole it created. Workers pushed the truck back inside the garage and they'll take it away from there.
new york city, maspeth, queens, accident, new york news, jamie roth
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Elderly pedestrian hit by two cars in Harlem
- Third grader hit and killed by truck, driver charged 46 min ago
- Car dealer charged after selling Sandy-damaged vehicles
- LI burglary foiled by man watching on webcam in China 15 min ago
- GWB repair work will close upper level lanes 25 min ago
- Pan Am 103 bombing anniversary marked by memorials
- Photos: Pan Am 103 bombing 39 min ago
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
- NASA astronauts begin urgent spacewalking repairs
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall
- Third grader hit and killed by truck,...
46 min ago