New York News
Owner willing to work with woman facing eviction
BEDFORD-STUYVESANT, Brooklyn (WABC) -- The new owner of an 82-year-old woman's home that was foreclosed upon says he's willing to work with her and city officials.
All Mary Ward can do is wait for developments she hopes will allow her to remain in her home of more than 40 years.
"We're going to be victorious and deliverance is at hand to give my house back to me like it's supposed to," Ward said.
A city marshal came to Ms. Ward's building on Friday, to execute an eviction order, but was turned away by dozens of protestors.
Shameem Chowdhury owns the property which he bought at auction after Ms. Ward's Brooklyn home was foreclosed.
"She needs a place, of course and everybody needs a place, and we can help her, but this is my property and I invested in it," Chowdhury said.
Ms. Ward was the victim of predatory lending when she tried to borrow against the home to handle a family matter.
The lender went bankrupt, and an $80,000 loan, which she never received, turned into a $200,000 debt.
Brooklyn attorney Catherine Isobe has seen it all before.
"I've seen many cases, similar to Ms. Ward's, where the borrower has been defrauded," Isobe said.
Mr. Chowdhury says he is considering a three week moratorium on eviction efforts, as he works with lawyers and local leaders on a resolution.
Meanwhile, he considers himself a victim in the matter.
"I borrowed the money to buy the property from a lender and now I have to pay interest on it," Chowdhury said.
"How is he a victim, with all the property and the millions he has. I'm the victim," Ward said.
She says she wants to win not only for herself, but for the thousands of others, in New York City alone, who are facing foreclosure on their homes.
new york city, bedford-stuyvesant, brooklyn, foreclosure, new york news, art mcfarland
- Vietnam spots oil slicks in hunt for missing jet 59 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Man in coma after Long Island City hit and run
- Kindergartener leaves school unnoticed in Morrisania
- Missing man found buried in nephew's backyard
- Photo released of Queens bank robbery suspect
- Newtown to DC bike ride to push for gun control 30 min ago
- Florida family falls ill after eating meat with LSD
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- Mega Millions jackpot at $309 million after no winner 19 min ago
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks head
- Photos: Stolen jewelry items in Ramsey robbery
- Vietnam spots oil slicks in hunt for...
59 min ago