New York News
Progress made at WTC site as 10th Anniv. nears
NEW YORK (WABC) -- You can see it on the skyline, but now take a look inside the massive construction project at Ground Zero.
Nearly 10 years after the terror attacks and the vision a new Lower Manhattan skyline is taking shape.
Tower 1 already soars 80-stories high.
Construction on tower 3, which is scheduled for completion in 2015, has reached ground level.
"If you look at the building now you can see the size and heft of some of these concrete walls that surround the court. That is a unique safety feature of these buildings. These buildings are built like no other buildings in the Unites States," said Janno Lieber, World Trade Center Project Developer.
Half of the 16-acre site is dedicated to the World Trade Center Memorial and Museum.
400 trees fill most of the plaza.
Two massive pools rest in the original footprints of the Twin Towers.
While the Memorial Pools and their 30-foot high cascading waterfalls provide a serene setting for visitors, the names of the victims are written on bronze plaques around the pools.
The architect says that's what means the most to him.
"We were able to put names side by side. Names of friends, co-workers, family members. People who might have perished together that day and didn't know one another before that," said Michael Arad, 9/11 Memorial Architect.
Monica Iken's husband was one of those who perished. "For me this memorial is what it's all about. For me to be able to come here and finally honor him," Iken said.
The National September 11th Memorial will open to the public on September 12th.
new york city, ground zero, world trade center, september 11, new york news, joe torres
- Dead body found in plastic container in Brooklyn 18 min ago
- AccuWeather: A Little Cooler 35 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash 42 min ago
- 2 killed in wreck on Southern State identified
- No hearts stolen on date, only NJ woman's dog, TV
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- Woman fatally shot in Queens; man in custody 43 min ago
- 4 charged in Elizabeth auto body shop robbery
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park
- Man retrieving item from tracks hit by subway train
- Sparta crash injures woman and 8-year old son
- NYPD policy revised; officers should take stairs in fire
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
42 min ago
- AccuWeather: A Little Cooler
35 min ago