New York News
500,000 customers without power in NYC metro area
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Nearly half a million customers are still without power in the New York City metro area. Those include about 70,000 in the city and Westchester and 324,000 on Long Island. Con Edison says it hopes to restore power to its city customers by late Tuesday evening.
It'll take longer in Westchester because flooding and downed trees are hampering crews from reaching damaged lines. Service in Westchester is expected to be back by late Thursday. Con Edison says the hardest hit areas in the city were Queens and Staten Island.
At the peak of the storm, 187,000 Con Edison customers had no power.
Long Island Power Authority says it has restored service to 100,000 customers and hopes to have 90 percent of the rest restored by Friday. The last 10 percent might have to wait throught the weekend.
Customers can report power interruptions or service problems as well as view service restoration information online at www.conEd.com and on their cell phones and PDAs. They may also call Con Edison at 1-800-75-CONED (1-800-752-6633). When reporting an outage, customers should have their Con Edison account number available, if possible, and report whether their neighbors also have lost power.
The following link to the New York City Office of Emergency Management's hurricane preparedness Web site provides information about what to do in the event of a hurricane, as well as providing evacuation and shelter information: http://www.nyc.gov/html/oem/html/ready/hurricane_guide.shtml.
Con Edison offers the following safety tips:
Con Edison will provide updates to affected customers both directly and through the media as the situation warrants. In addition, important information will also be posted on the company's Web site, www.coned.com. The company is in constant communication with the New York City Office of Emergency Management and the Westchester County Department of Emergency Services.
hurricane irene, hurricane, tropical storm, new york news
- 2 killed in motorcycle accident in Queens 6 min ago
- AccuWeather: Record Warmth
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
- Teen who was shot at Colorado school dies
- LI burglary foiled by man watching on webcam in China
- GWB repair work will close upper level lanes
- Long Island driver charged with DWI in hit and run
- Target offers discount, free credit monitoring after data breach
- Pan Am 103 bombing anniversary marked by memorials
- Knicks lose to Grizzlies, 95-87
- Video: Holiday shoppers enjoying warm weather
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall