New York News
Ballistics show innocent victim not shot by suspect
CROWN HEIGHTS, Brooklyn (WABC) -- Ballistics tests shed new light on the shooting of a woman who was caught in the crossfire between police and two gunmen.
She was caught in a shootout that followed an argument between two men. It quickly turned violent when each man pulled out a gun, and what followed was a raw, bloody finish to a weekend of exceptional violence, with dozens of people shot across the city.
On Wednesday night, police said the bullet that killed Gay did not come from suspect Leroy Webster's gun.
It couldn't be linked to a specific weapon, but could have come from a glock, the type of gun used by some officers.
Now, Gay's family is speaking out for the first time.
"Denise was a kind person, she was big in stature, but also had a bigger heart," said Les Gay, the victim's brother.
Two officers were also shot.
They have been released from the hospital.
new york city, brooklyn, crown heights, shooting, police shooting, new york news
- NJ Transit buses delayed 30 minutes 28 min ago
- Jersey shore reopens for 1st post-Sandy summer
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain continues 30 min ago
- Eyewitness News Live
- Teen heading to prom dies in car accident
- Amanda Bynes released after court appearance 47 min ago
- 3 hurt when I-5 bridge collapses into Wash. river
- Bridge collapse calls into question other bridges' safety 57 min ago
- Tree trouble in Dumont
- Eats: Camarones Mi Pueblo at Zapata in Palisades
- abcnews: Hurricane season could be 'extremely active'
- Photos: Circle 7 at GMA's Summer Concert Series
- Photos: I-5 Skagit River Bridge collapse
- Photos: Flash flooding in the New York area
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain continues
30 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos