New York News
Police release video of shooting that killed a bystander
CROWN HEIGHTS, Brooklyn (WABC) -- Linwood Valdez heard so much gunfire on Monday night, he wasn't certain where it came from.
"It was pretty much a huge blur," he said.
All he remembers is standing right next to 56-year-old Denise Gay and watching her go down.
Now comes the news that the bullet that killed Mrs. Gay did not come from 32-year-old Leroy Webster's gun. He's the one who allegedly started all the shooting. Instead, investigators say the bullet most likely came from a semi-automatic glock. That's the same type of gun police use. Police have released dramatic surveillance video. It's evidence of why there was so much chaos. In the video, you see several men running as Webster shoots one person in the neck. Webster looks around, runs back inside, and then seconds later, he fires again.
You can't see police, but they fire back and you see Webster fall down. If you look carefully, you can see he is brazen enough to keep shooting at them over and over again, injuring two of the officers.
Still, friends and neighbors of Denise Gay can't help but wonder how the bullets could have made their way to her stoop, several doors down.
The bullet was also damaged in the shooting, and investigators are still trying to figure out if anyone else here at the scene was armed.
As they remember a kind-hearted neighbor, and friend. Friday would have been her 57th birthday. Her neighbors were planning a celebration. Now, they just want answers about her death.
new york city, brooklyn, crown heights, shooting, police shooting, new york news, stacey sager
- Boy, 2, found with heroin at Paterson day care center 23 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Firefighters battling Bronx car fire find body inside
- NJ woman charged in butt injection death 47 min ago
- 1 dead in Midtown fire; Fire truck crash injures 2
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn
- Missing Malaysia plane changed course, military says 54 min ago
- Obama's surprise turn on 'Between Two Ferns'
- Burger King baby seeks birth mom
- Call released after Oregon couple calls 911 on pet cat
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos