New York News
Toddler loses eye; arrest made in SI shooting
STATEN ISLAND (WABC) -- A 19-year-old man is under arrest after prosecutors say he shot a 21-month-old girl in the face on Staten Island.
Samaya was eating a lollipop and a chocolate bar, playing with her sister's hair when she was shot in the temple. The bullet exited right between her eyes.
"God is gonna work it out, and my grandbaby's going to be fine and everything," grandmother Patricia Mahoney said. "And I know that, cause I have faith in God."
Police believe the motive for the incident was an ongoing dispute with Samaya's uncle.
Doctors say the toddler will lose an eye to the bullet that hit her in the face while she sat in her stroller in a playground, surrounded by family members.
"We screamed. I wanted to kill whoever did it," one witness said. "We scooped up the baby and we called 911, but they didn't act like they were coming fast enough, so we threw the baby in the car with us."
With blood gushing from the Samaya's wound, her family rushed her to Richmond University Medical Center. She's already undergone a series of operations, with more to come.
Police say the gunshot was meant for someone else, and police say the gunman simply got in a car and drove away. But a short time later, police stopped a car and took four men into custody. One of them, they say, fired the shot that hit Samaya.
That suspect has been identified as 19-year-old Damark King. He is charged with criminal possession of a weapon, criminal use of a firearm and reckless endangerment.
Two of the men in the car with King have been released. The fourth is being held on an unrelated warrant.
People at the Arlington Houses say gunfire is common in the area.
"We really don't have no choice, this is the only playground we got," one young mother said. "And I mean, I'd just be so nervous coming out here."
new york city, child shot, staten island, new york news, anthony johnson
- Photos: Bronx River Parkway crash
- AccuWeather Forecast: More Snow On The Way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Multiple children injured in Toms River bus accident 10 min ago
- Wintry mix causes slick roads, massive pileup 43 min ago
- NJ Transit cross-honoring tickets system-wide
- Nelson Mandela memorial set for Tuesday in Soweto
- Obama to pay tribute to Mandela in South Africa
- Tough new NYC cockroaches can withstand winter cold
- MTA announces new safety measures after derailment
- Newtown families create website to honor Sandy Hook victims 13 min ago
- Joe Torre elected to Baseball Hall of Fame
- Photos: AccuWeather Forecast in pictures
- Wintry mix causes slick roads, massive pileup
43 min ago