New York News
Water skiing around Manhattan for a good cause
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Mary Kocy throws logic overboard when she fastens her skis and dips into the Hudson River.
"I prepared by getting Hep A shots and tetanus shots," she said.
That's to make sure she doesn't get sick from the water, which is currently littered with flotsam from Hurricane Irene.
Sure, she could ski in cleaner water, but she's on a mission to circle Manhattan.
That's 30 miles in which she plans to ski in about an hour, forty minutes.
"We've been doing this all summer. She'll hit crazy waves, goes through them. It's awesome," John Rusk said.
Rusk is spotting and coaching his wife.
Initially, they trained in another boat further up the Hudson, but for Sunday's ride, they'll be using a sturdier, stronger boat courtesy of island water sports in Port Jefferson.
While the 55 year old skis around the island, she'll be making other people happy. She's raising money to help veterans.
The money will help them get a more specific diagnosis and better treatment for stress disorders and traumatic brain injuries.
The work will be done at the Rusk Institute, which just happens to share her husband's last name.
"For a number of years people had been calling Rusk John when they meant to call Rusk Institute," she said.
Now instead of forwarding calls, she's forwarding money and a lap around Manhattan is like a big hug of thanks.
To learn more, please visit http://giving.nyumc.org/site/TR?pg=fund&fr_id=1250&pxfid=1330.
new york city, manhattan, hudson river, fundraiser, new york news
- London attack could be terror-related, officials say
- AccuWeather: Stormy day 5 min ago
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Police captain's home hit with firebomb?
- Arrest made in East Village bias attack
- Funeral for Hofstra student accidentally shot by police
- Anthony Weiner launches bid to become NYC mayor
- Survivors search nearly done after Oklahoma tornado
- FBI shoots man possibly linked to Boston bomb suspects,...
- Hats get women ejected from mall
- Garcia apologizes for "fried chicken" remark about Tiger
- Kellie Pickler wins Dancing With The Stars
- Photos: Tornado damage in Oklahoma
- AccuWeather: Stormy day
5 min ago