New York News
Water skiing around Manhattan for a good cause
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Mary Kocy throws logic overboard when she fastens her skis and dips into the Hudson River.
"I prepared by getting Hep A shots and tetanus shots," she said.
That's to make sure she doesn't get sick from the water, which is currently littered with flotsam from Hurricane Irene.
Sure, she could ski in cleaner water, but she's on a mission to circle Manhattan.
That's 30 miles in which she plans to ski in about an hour, forty minutes.
"We've been doing this all summer. She'll hit crazy waves, goes through them. It's awesome," John Rusk said.
Rusk is spotting and coaching his wife.
Initially, they trained in another boat further up the Hudson, but for Sunday's ride, they'll be using a sturdier, stronger boat courtesy of island water sports in Port Jefferson.
While the 55 year old skis around the island, she'll be making other people happy. She's raising money to help veterans.
The money will help them get a more specific diagnosis and better treatment for stress disorders and traumatic brain injuries.
The work will be done at the Rusk Institute, which just happens to share her husband's last name.
"For a number of years people had been calling Rusk John when they meant to call Rusk Institute," she said.
Now instead of forwarding calls, she's forwarding money and a lap around Manhattan is like a big hug of thanks.
To learn more, please visit http://giving.nyumc.org/site/TR?pg=fund&fr_id=1250&pxfid=1330.
new york city, manhattan, hudson river, fundraiser, new york news
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix 50 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Snow heads into NYC after hitting southern, central NJ 1 min ago
- Is school closed or delayed? Find out fast: Here's how!
- NJ Transit cross-honoring tickets system-wide 33 min ago
- Yaphank church badly damaged by fire
- New York City unveils interactive map of major crimes
- Potential major advancement made in fight against leukemia
- Giants playoff hopes eliminated after Chargers loss 10 min ago
- Video: Phil Lipof says goodbye to Eyewitness News
- Broncos' Matt Prater sets NFL record with 64-yard FG
- South Africans pray for Mandela in day of mourning
- Motorists line up at gas stations, prepare...
33 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix
50 min ago
- NYC Agencies preparing for first snowfall...
45 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos