New York News
Tolls increase on Port Authority bridges/tunnels
NEW YORK -- You better have extra dough when crossing bridges and tunnels owned by The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey.
At 3 a.m. Sunday, cash tolls on the George Washington Bridge, Holland Tunnel, Lincoln Tunnel, Goethals Bridge, Bayonne Bridge and Outerbridge Crossing rose from $8 to $12.
For trucks it'll be $13 per axle.
The agency had originally proposed even steeper toll increases, but was forced to scale back after the governors of New York and New Jersey threatened to veto them.
The Port Authority's coffers have been hit hard by security-related projects following the 9/11 attacks, a drop in revenue caused by the global economic slump, and the $11 billion World Trade Center complex.
new york city, toll hike, tolls, port authority, new york news
- At least 2 dead, 30 hurt in East Harlem explosion 3 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Metro-North service changes due to East Harlem explosion
- Video: Emergency personnel investigating East...
- Video: How will the East Harlem explosion affect...
- Video: Building explosion rattles East Harlem
- Video: De Blasio: Gas leak complaint came in 15...
- Video: Residents near East Harlem explosion...
- Video: Woman hears East Harlem Explosion, thought...
- raw video: Viewer video from East Harlem explosion site
- LI hospital warns of possible blood contamination