New York News
Tolls increase on Port Authority bridges/tunnels
NEW YORK -- You better have extra dough when crossing bridges and tunnels owned by The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey.
At 3 a.m. Sunday, cash tolls on the George Washington Bridge, Holland Tunnel, Lincoln Tunnel, Goethals Bridge, Bayonne Bridge and Outerbridge Crossing rose from $8 to $12.
For trucks it'll be $13 per axle.
The agency had originally proposed even steeper toll increases, but was forced to scale back after the governors of New York and New Jersey threatened to veto them.
The Port Authority's coffers have been hit hard by security-related projects following the 9/11 attacks, a drop in revenue caused by the global economic slump, and the $11 billion World Trade Center complex.
new york city, toll hike, tolls, port authority, new york news
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx 54 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Victim in possible NYC 'knockout game' attack speaks out
- Wallington firefighter killed in blaze being laid to rest 41 min ago
- Demolition underway after NJ fire; Questions linger 48 min ago
- Photos: Jersey City row home fire
- Sketch released of suspect in Queens attempted luring
- Baby critical after DWI firefighter hits pregnant woman
- Man stiffs livery cab driver, punches him in the face
- Obama's warnings brushed aside by Russia's Vladimir Putin
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Demolition underway after NJ fire;...
48 min ago
- Wallington firefighter killed in blaze...
41 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos