New York News
Man dies in plunge down elevator shaft in Midtown
MIDTOWN (WABC) -- An elevator mechanic plunged to his death inside an elevator shaft in Midtown Friday morning.
The incident happened at West 38th Street and 7th Avenue just after 10 a.m.
The 50-year-old victim fell 10 stories. He was seen being taken out of the building on a stretcher with an EMS worker performing CPR.
He was rushed to Bellevue Hospital, where he was pronounced dead. Authorities say he was an elevator mechanic working in the building.
Investigators are not sure what caused the fall at this point, but say it appears to be an accident.
new york city, midtown, new york news
- 4 people shot in Brooklyn
- Photos: Accuweather maps for possible Monday snow 17 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cold, but milder 23 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- East Harlem investigators seeking clues in basement 5 min ago
- raw video: New video just after East Harlem Explosion
- East Harlem explosion: More on the victims
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- East Harlem Explosion: How to Help
- Sketches released of suspects wanted in lurings
- Out of control bus hits cars in Brooklyn; 5 hurt 25 min ago
- Malaysian leader: plane's system deliberately disabled 31 min ago
- Mega Millions jackpot jumps to $400 million
- Photos: Several vehicles on fire in New Jersey
- East Harlem investigators seeking clues in...
5 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cold, but milder
23 min ago