New York News
Man dies in plunge down elevator shaft in Midtown
MIDTOWN (WABC) -- An elevator mechanic plunged to his death inside an elevator shaft in Midtown Friday morning.
The incident happened at West 38th Street and 7th Avenue just after 10 a.m.
The 50-year-old victim fell 10 stories. He was seen being taken out of the building on a stretcher with an EMS worker performing CPR.
He was rushed to Bellevue Hospital, where he was pronounced dead. Authorities say he was an elevator mechanic working in the building.
Investigators are not sure what caused the fall at this point, but say it appears to be an accident.
new york city, midtown, new york news
- AccuWeather: Snow, ice and rain for Saturday 50 min ago
- 7 On Your Side gets back $1-million dollars in 2013
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- New York City issues snow alert 27 min ago
- Newtown victims to be remembered Saturday 1 min ago
- Christie appointee resigns amid probe 24 min ago
- Charges expected in fraternity death
- 2,500 Fordham University applicants misled by email
- JFK customs seize cocaine in hair care products 10 min ago
- NY lawmakers to announce legislation preventing bridge tolls
- Mega Millions rises to $425M for Friday drawing
- Secret Sales: Dark Chocolate Espresso Beans and Photo Books
- Photos: Technology Gift Guide
- AccuWeather: Snow, ice and rain for Saturday
50 min ago