New York News
Staten Island community shaken by threatening letters
ROSEBANK (WABC) -- The anonymous, threatening letters just keep coming.
"We don't know who it is. He has some connection to very personal information," Nataliya Galyshiva said.
For two years, families living in this Staten Island condo complex have received dozens of letters. Addressed to RESIDENT and postmarked Boston, they accuse neighbors of drug abuse and crimes and then usually end with a threat: "get rid of these scum bags," he writes in one, to the more frightening, "One good scope and a rifle and you all could be gone."
"Its getting aggressive, getting worse and worse every day," Jose Rodriquez said.
HazMat teams had to cordon off homes on Wednesday after letters arrived with white powder, which turned out not to be dangerous. But the constant fear has some buying elaborate security systems: Rodriquez thinks whoever is sending the letters lives in the area.
"Because stuff that happens a week ago he knows about. He watches everything goes in and out," he said, worried that it is getting to a dangerous point.
Nerves frayed, suspicions running wild, neighbors are starting to turn on each other.
Mark Yefymenko said it's turning the neighborhood apart.
"That's what he's trying to accomplish and he's getting it done," Yefymenko said.
Bullet casings, powder, death threats just how far will the letter writer go before he's stopped.
"He will be punished for it because he makes us feel bad," Galysheva said.
new york city, staten island, rosebank, staten island threats, threat, threats, new york news, jim hoffer
- Hospital warns of possible blood contamination 35 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way 18 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- South Brunswick elderly couple robbed and scammed 30 min ago
- Store workers fight back during Bushwick robbery 33 min ago
- Fort Lee students to make up snow days
- Boy, 2, found with heroin at Paterson day care center
- Pharmacists accused in HIV medication scam
- Ferry service to resume between Haverstraw, Ossining 58 min ago
- Malaysia plane changed direction, military says
- Obama, in NYC for fundraising trip, shops at Gap
- Photos: Huge fire damages San Francisco building 53 min ago
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Hospital warns of possible blood...
35 min ago
- Store workers fight back during Bushwick...
33 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
18 min ago
- South Brunswick elderly couple robbed and...
30 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos