New York News
Arrest in attack, robbery of 81-year-old man
PARKCHESTER, Bronx (WABC) -- Police in the Bronx have arrested a 20-year-old homeless man for allegedly attacking and robbing an 81-year-old man.
It happened on Thursday at 4 p.m. in the lobby of a building on Unionport Road in the Parkchester section.
The suspect grabbed the Jose Rodriguez, 81, from behind and placed him into a chokehold.
Then, he threw the elderly man to the ground and repeatedly choked and kicked him while rifling through his pockets.
Rodriguez is nursing the black eye he got in the vicious attack that was all caught on camera.
"I feel very mad," Jose Rodriguez said adding he thought he was going to die.
Rodriguez says the man demanded money as he threw him to the ground, kicking and barreling punch after punch to his face.
"They hit me and they don't give me a chance to hit him. I hit very good too," Rodriguez said.
No chance to defend himself, as the attacker ripped the gold chain off of his neck, then stole his wallet.
"I was yelling help but nobody," Rodriguez said.
When help finally came, the attacker was gone, leaving nothing but the video evidence; images Rodriguez can't manage to watch himself, but he hopes it will lead to the arrest of the heartless man who gave him the biggest, black and blue scare of his 81-years.
"Go to jail. Send him to jail. Get the guy. People like that in the street, forget about!" Rodriguez said.
On Sunday, police arrested 20-year-old Cameron Roebuck. He is charged with robbery.
new york city, assault, elderly abuse, robbery, bronx, new york news
- Baruch College student dies in apparent frat ritual 20 min ago
- AccuWeather: Brisk And Cold
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Two lanes blocked on GWB due to maintenance 28 min ago
- Mother charged with murder in Baby Angel case
- Thieves target luxury cars in New York area
- Photos: Luxury car theft ring bust in NYC
- Metro-North derailment sparks rules review
- De Blasio says family will live in Gracie Mansion
- Photos: A look at Gracie Mansion
- George Zimmerman will not face assault charges, prosecutors say
- Pope Francis chosen Time's Person of the Year
- Photos: Time's Person of the Year: The unchosen