New York News
Carousel provides a trip back in time in Brooklyn
BROOKLYN (WABC) -- It was made in 1922 the heyday of the American carousel and it wasn't easy to get this carousel to look like it did back then.
"I spent a year and did research and i got into it and into it and more into it," Jane Walentas said.
Twenty-three years into it, Walentas had finally finished the restoration, getting the paint, the finish, the stenciling perfect.
It took another four years until the carousel could be moved to its new home in DUMBO, housed in a structure designed by Jean Nouvel.
It's called Jane's Carousel, because Jane gave it as a gift to the city - a gift valued at more than 10 million dollars. It's a gift to the people, and for two dollars, it's a ride filled with nostalgia.
You can learn more about it at janescarousel.com.
new york city, brooklyn, dumbo, jane's carousel, carousel, new york news, lauren glassberg
- Yonkers fire injures family of four 15 min ago
- AccuWeather: Still Some Slick Spots!
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Residents warned to look out for black ice
- Avonte's mother continues search with new headquarters
- Limited 7 train service on entire line
- Tourist who lost leg in taxi crash sues city
- Man struck and killed by car on LIE
- Flu shots could be mandatory for NYC kids
- Photos: Nelson Mandela Memorial Service
- Photos: Viewer snow storm pictures
- WestJet plays Santa to 250 lucky passengers
- Photos: Technology Gift Guide