New York News
The gastronauts eating club
NEW YORK (WABC) -- His love to eat and going to the deep end of the menu is why Curtiss Calleo and a friend started an eating club.
The club meets and eats every month, consuming foods the masses may shun. They call themselves gastronauts.
They've gone to Thakali Kitchen in Queens for mustang cuisine, also known as Tivertan and Napali cooking. There, Chef Charmila cooks up plenty of goat and stews - made of goat liver, heart and kidneys. And the group loves it along with water buffalo chow mein and Lepukhu - made of goat tongue, ears and brains.
They say it is always fun to watch the chef realize this is the group that is going to eat the stuff he has not been able to cook because he just does not have the audience for it, but the group gets pleasure in odd foods.
They believe is you are going to eat one animal, why not eat them all.
Past dinners have included beaver tail, horse meat, snake and turtle. But what's the strangest thing?
Once they've eaten it, the gastronauts do not really consider anything strange.
new york city, queens, food, new york news, lauren glassberg
- Snow Alert issued in NYC for Tuesday 57 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Multiple people injured in Toms River bus accident 10 min ago
- Wintry mix causes slick roads, massive pileup
- NJ Transit cross-honoring tickets system-wide
- Nelson Mandela memorial set for Tuesday in Soweto
- Obama to pay tribute to Mandela in South Africa
- Tough new NYC cockroaches can withstand winter cold
- No tailgating to be allowed at NY/NJ Super Bowl
- Newtown families create website to honor Sandy Hook victims
- Photos: Bronx River Parkway crash
- Photos: AccuWeather Forecast in pictures
- Snow Alert issued in NYC for Tuesday
57 min ago