New York News

Wall Street protesters on the move

Sunday, October 09, 2011
wall street protest

For 22 days and 22 nights demonstrators have camped out inside Lower Manhattan's Zuccotti Park.

But on Saturday, thousands of people left Zuccotti Park and headed up to Washington Square Park.

Just when police were worried about a curfew in Washington Square Park, the protesters headed back to Zuccotti Park.

It has been a very peaceful day for Occupy Wall Street.

Protesters got through the day with two marches and no arrests.

And they want this same success occupying Zuccotti Park.

They don't want to get kicked out because of growing concerns it's not clean.

A crew of five or six tote brooms, wear rubber gloves and haul out garbage bags to keep the park clean.

"I think it's vital we keep it clean," head of cleanup Max Hodes said.

Hodes heads the sanitation committee and at the sanitation station there are three containers: trash, recycling and compost.

But four weeks of occupation means four weeks without a professional cleaning crew.

And the owners of the private park are expressing concerns.

"Frankly, I think they're justified in their concern," Hodes said.

Some nearby business owners shared concerns with Eyewitness News off camera about protesters using their bathroom.

Hodes admits, it has been a burden on them and now his committee is volunteering to clean their bathrooms.

Earlier Saturday, about 1,000 protesters marched to Washington Square Park, spent a few hours there, and marched back.

It all happened without any arrests.

It's a movement growing more sophisticated with each day, with messages now being projected onto nearby buildings.

Another march to Washington Square Park is planned for 2 p.m. Sunday.

It will be followed by an interfaith service at 3:30 p.m.

(Copyright ©2014 WABC-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)

Get more New York News »

occupy wall street, wall street protest, new york city, brooklyn bridge, wall street, economy, new york news, darla miles
blog comments powered by Disqus