New York News
Sheehan supporters plead for her freedom
HOWARD BEACH (WABC) -- Some 200 supporters of Barbara Sheehan gathered outside Our Lady of Grace church in Howard Beach Sunday night hoping for mercy.
"I hope everyone's prayers are for my daughter. She doesn't belong where she is. She belongs at home with children and family," Barbara Henry, her mother, said.
"We're here tonight to send message that abuse was enough. This has to stop. She needs to come home. She doesn't need to be where she is," Kelly Sinisgalli, a friend, said.
Barbara Sheehan, 50, remains in jail waiting to learn her sentence for a weapons possession conviction, which carries 3 and a half to 15 years behind bars.
In 2008, this Queens wife and mother of 2 killed her husband, Raymond Sheehan. She shot him 11 times in their bathroom. She claimed her husband, a former New York City police sergeant, had abused her for years and that she lived in crushing fear for her life.
The jury believed her, but they did not let her go completely free. They found her guilty of the weapons charge and a judge must now rule on what would be an appropriate punishment.
Her friends and family argue she has already suffered 17 years of harsh cruelty at the hands of her husband.
"I just hope at the end of this, resolved in court, she won't have to go to prison and will be coming home soon," Michael Henry, her father, said.
Sheehan's attorney hopes to have her freed pending her sentencing, which is scheduled for Nov. 10. She is also appealing the gun possession conviction, but that process could take a year to complete.
new york city, queens, legal, crime, new york news, lucy yang
- 4 injured, including child in Bronx fire
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- City Council passes plastic foam, e-cigarette bills
- Over 75 injured in London theatre roof collapse
- String of carjackings in Elizabeth
- Triple stabbing at Stamford High School
- Human error contributed in delay of Ariel Russo 911 response
- Tax trouble for taxi tycoon?
- Photos: Injuries reported in Clifton, NJ bus accident
- Consumer Reports: Nasty Chicken
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved in breach
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know