New York News
Neighbors intervene when man robs woman
EAST NEW YORK (WABC) -- Police say a recently paroled man was trying to rob a woman when residents jumped into action to help her.
"I heard her scream. What I saw was the black male on top of her," Oscar O'Bar said.
The sound of fear pierced the crisp, quiet night air on Crosby Street Monday around 8:00 p.m. in East New York.
It sent O'Bar's heart racing and adrenaline roaring.
"And then I when saw him grab her bag and ran I was like whoa! My first instinct was to chase him," he said.
O'Bar zoomed off after 29 year old Nathaniel Flowers for three blocks. O'Bar didn't see a gun, but neighbors saw the chase and their instincts kicked in too.
Flowers dove over a fence and tried to hide in a backyard. The entire neighborhood now wouldn't let him leave the block.
"He got trapped. Everybody chased him," O'Bar said.
With four sisters, and a handful of-nieces and grand-nieces, O'Bar says it was second nature.
"It's a macho thing, he broke the code against women," he said.
O'Bar, who is currently out of work, says his dream is to get a job as a New York City Sanitation worker.
new york city, brooklyn, east new york, crime, robbery, hero, new york news, darla miles
- Authorities: Hofstra student killed by police
- AccuWeather: Showers Show Up
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- 1 winning ticket sold for record Powerball jackpot 34 min ago
- Teen fatally shot on Queens bus
- U.S. Air plane makes belly landing at Newark Airport
- Vito Lopez says he will resign effective Monday
- Official: Broken rail eyed in Metro North crash
- Police say fatal Greenwich Village shooting a hate crime
- Oxbow wins the Preakness Stakes
- Pacers knock out Knicks with win in Game 6
- Photos: Belly landing at Newark Airport
- Photos: Metro North trains collide in Connecticut
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos