New York News
Mom arrested for abandoning baby in Queens
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Police say a 21-year-old mother was arrested for abandoning her infant baby in a stroller early Saturday morning in Queens.
Authorities say they received a 911 call just before 5 a.m. that a unattended baby was crying in a stroller in Elmont.
When police arrived, they found a 2-month-old infant alone in a stroller. They say the baby was bundled up in a coat and blanket.
The child was removed by EMS to Elmhurst General Hospital, where it was determined that the baby was in good health and well cared for.
After further investigation, the child's mother, Alexandra Cherenfant, was located by the police. She was arrested and charged with reckless endangerment, abandonment of a child and endangering the welfare of a minor.
ACS was alerted, and the child is now in the care of relatives.
Police say the incident was apparently sparked by a dispute between the child's mother and the child's father, who lives at the location where the child was first discovered.
new york city, elmont, queens, abandoned baby, new york news
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
- AccuWeather: Record Warmth
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Elderly pedestrian hit by two cars in Harlem
- LI burglary foiled by man watching on webcam in China
- GWB repair work will close upper level lanes 19 min ago
- Long Island driver charged with DWI in hit and run
- Target offers discount, free credit monitoring after data breach
- Pan Am 103 bombing anniversary marked by memorials
- Photos: Pan Am 103 bombing
- NASA astronauts make spacewalk for urgent repairs
- Knicks lose to Grizzlies, 95-87
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall