New York News
NYPD officer turns tables on would-be robbers
NEW YORK (WABC) -- An off-duty NYPD officer turned the tables on a group of men who attempted to rob him on the boardwalk in Far Rockaway, Queens, Saturday evening.
Police say the officer was walking his dog on the boardwalk at Beach 27th Street around 6:30 p.m. when the group of men approached.
One person in the group appeared to be armed with a gun, and they attempted to rob the officer. The cop reportedly identified himself as a police officer and shots were fired.
Two of the suspects was shot before the group of men fled the scene. The officer was not injured.
Police took three men in custody near the scene, including one who was shot in the chin and arm. Another victim walked into a local hospital and told police he had been shot in the shoulder at the scene of the attempted robbery.
Police also recovered an imitation pistol at the scene. The fake gun was in two pieces when it was recovered.
new york city, far rockaway, queens, police shooting, new york news
- Winter Weather Advisory
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- 'Snow Alert' issued for New York City
- Wintry mix causes slick roads, massive pileup
- New Jersey preparing for another dose of snow
- LIRR preparing for snow, ice
- Homeless shelter charity and giving tips
- Nelson Mandela memorial set for Tuesday in Soweto 35 min ago
- No tailgating to be allowed at NY/NJ Super Bowl
- Newtown families create website to honor Sandy Hook victims
- Photos: Bronx River Parkway crash
- Photos: Technology Gift Guide