New York News
NYPD officer turns tables on would-be robbers
NEW YORK (WABC) -- An off-duty NYPD officer turned the tables on a group of men who attempted to rob him on the boardwalk in Far Rockaway, Queens, Saturday evening.
Police say the officer was walking his dog on the boardwalk at Beach 27th Street around 6:30 p.m. when the group of men approached.
One person in the group appeared to be armed with a gun, and they attempted to rob the officer. The cop reportedly identified himself as a police officer and shots were fired.
Two of the suspects was shot before the group of men fled the scene. The officer was not injured.
Police took three men in custody near the scene, including one who was shot in the chin and arm. Another victim walked into a local hospital and told police he had been shot in the shoulder at the scene of the attempted robbery.
Police also recovered an imitation pistol at the scene. The fake gun was in two pieces when it was recovered.
new york city, far rockaway, queens, police shooting, new york news
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park
- Missing autistic boy found in Brooklyn
- NYPD policy revised; officers should take stairs in fire
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen
- New York-bound bus in wreck in Maryland
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby abduction
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire
- South Korea ferry captain arrested; death toll at 32
- Weekend subway changes affecting 11 lines