New York News
NYPD officer turns tables on would-be robbers
NEW YORK (WABC) -- An off-duty NYPD officer turned the tables on a group of men who attempted to rob him on the boardwalk in Far Rockaway, Queens, Saturday evening.
Police say the officer was walking his dog on the boardwalk at Beach 27th Street around 6:30 p.m. when the group of men approached.
One person in the group appeared to be armed with a gun, and they attempted to rob the officer. The cop reportedly identified himself as a police officer and shots were fired.
Two of the suspects was shot before the group of men fled the scene. The officer was not injured.
Police took three men in custody near the scene, including one who was shot in the chin and arm. Another victim walked into a local hospital and told police he had been shot in the shoulder at the scene of the attempted robbery.
Police also recovered an imitation pistol at the scene. The fake gun was in two pieces when it was recovered.
new york city, far rockaway, queens, police shooting, new york news
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy 28 min ago
- AccuWeather: Changeable Week
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door 10 min ago
- Cherry Hill Mall parking dispute turns violent
- Man found shot to death in Bronx apartment
- Crash on Garden State Parkway leaves 1 dead, 2 hurt
- Liam Neeson tours stables amid carriage horse debate 1 min ago
- New measure to make child care more affordable
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford gets daylight savings time wrong
- Toddler's FaceTime saves mother after dog bite
- Antonio Cromartie released by Jets
- Rangers top Red Wings 3-0 in Lundqvist's 300th win
- Vietnam says it may have found missing...
10 min ago