New York News
Wall Street protesters march for Oakland
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The Occupy Wall Street Oakland solidarity march began at around 9 p.m. Wednesday.
The group marched to City Hall and started circling City Hall Park.
Some protestors are walking through the streets of Lower Manhattan blocking traffic.
Police officers were trying to keep the group on the sidewalks as they marched, but some broke away.
There are reports of arrests.
They happened at Broadway near Barclay Street.
ABC News reports that police on the whole are exhibiting restraint even with significant instances of demonstrators taunting cops and attempting to get them agitated.
Earlier, Occupy Wall Street protesters held a speak-out and march in New York City targeting the health insurance industry.
Several hundred protesters marched Wednesday to the offices at Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield, located near the movement's encampment in Zuccotti Park where they demanded health care for all. They also targeted other health insurance companies.
The march ended at the now-closed St. Vincent's Hospital in Greenwich Village, where they called for the hospital's reopening.
The Catholic-affiliated hospital filed for bankruptcy before closing in April, citing a $1 billion debt. It was sold to a developer who plans to turn it into a walk-in emergency facility and hundreds of luxury apartments.
(The Associated Press contributed to this report)
new york city, occupy wall street, wall street protest, wall street, times square, new york news
- Snow moves out, bitter cold moves in 18 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Photos: Viewer snow storm pictures
- New Jersey getting hit with another dose of snow
- Snow falling on Long Island
- Snow coming down in New York City
- Off-duty officer killed in Queens after crashing into storefront
- World leaders, South Africans honor Mandela at memorial
- Photos: Nelson Mandela Memorial Service
- Obama shakes hands with Cuba's Raul Castro
- Justin Bieber visits Philippine typhoon victims 55 min ago
- WestJet plays Santa to 250 lucky passengers
- Snow moves out, bitter cold moves in
18 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos