New York News
Parents say baby died in hospital after overdose
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Parents say what started out as a visit to an emergency room, ended with their son in a coma and days later, dead.
The family says the baby was given an iv drip and administered the antibiotic azithromycin and almost immediately had a negative reaction.
"Right away I see his eyes turn blue and his lips were blue," said the boy's mother Ummay Sultana.
Soon after the baby lapsed into a coma, and was placed on life support until Tuesday.
The family now says Amaan died of an overdose of the antibiotic.
And a hospital discharge summary appears to support that claim, acknowledging 500 mg of the azithrromycin was given in error.
His parents say it should have been 80.
"They have no professionalism&my baby's only 6 months old," said the father.
In a statement, Brookdale Hospital would only say "We are investigating the circumstances of this tragic incident and express our condolences to the Ahmmad family."
But the grieving parents are demanding answers now.
new york city, new york news, sandra bookman
- Authorities: Hofstra student killed by police
- AccuWeather: Showers Show Up
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- 1 winning ticket sold for record Powerball jackpot 21 min ago
- Teen fatally shot on Queens bus
- U.S. Air plane makes belly landing at Newark Airport
- Vito Lopez says he will resign effective Monday
- Official: Broken rail eyed in Metro North crash
- Police say fatal Greenwich Village shooting a hate crime
- Oxbow wins the Preakness Stakes
- Pacers knock out Knicks with win in Game 6
- Photos: Belly landing at Newark Airport
- Photos: Metro North trains collide in Connecticut
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos