New York News
Parents say baby died in hospital after overdose
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Parents say what started out as a visit to an emergency room, ended with their son in a coma and days later, dead.
The family says the baby was given an iv drip and administered the antibiotic azithromycin and almost immediately had a negative reaction.
"Right away I see his eyes turn blue and his lips were blue," said the boy's mother Ummay Sultana.
Soon after the baby lapsed into a coma, and was placed on life support until Tuesday.
The family now says Amaan died of an overdose of the antibiotic.
And a hospital discharge summary appears to support that claim, acknowledging 500 mg of the azithrromycin was given in error.
His parents say it should have been 80.
"They have no professionalism&my baby's only 6 months old," said the father.
In a statement, Brookdale Hospital would only say "We are investigating the circumstances of this tragic incident and express our condolences to the Ahmmad family."
But the grieving parents are demanding answers now.
new york city, new york news, sandra bookman
- AccuWeather: More snow Saturday 35 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Baruch College student dies in apparent frat ritual
- Fire burns through house in New Brunswick
- Woman twerking serves as lookout for alleged burglar
- Golden Globes nominations announced
- Newtown school shooting vigils planned for Thursday
- Mandela interpreter says he was hallucinating 59 min ago
- George Bush writes letter to Alabama kicker after big loss
- Software engineer teaches homeless man how to code
- Photos: New Brunswick, New Jersey house fire
- Photos: A look at Gracie Mansion
- AccuWeather: More snow Saturday
35 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos