New York News
Parents say baby died in hospital after overdose
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Parents say what started out as a visit to an emergency room, ended with their son in a coma and days later, dead.
The family says the baby was given an iv drip and administered the antibiotic azithromycin and almost immediately had a negative reaction.
"Right away I see his eyes turn blue and his lips were blue," said the boy's mother Ummay Sultana.
Soon after the baby lapsed into a coma, and was placed on life support until Tuesday.
The family now says Amaan died of an overdose of the antibiotic.
And a hospital discharge summary appears to support that claim, acknowledging 500 mg of the azithrromycin was given in error.
His parents say it should have been 80.
"They have no professionalism&my baby's only 6 months old," said the father.
In a statement, Brookdale Hospital would only say "We are investigating the circumstances of this tragic incident and express our condolences to the Ahmmad family."
But the grieving parents are demanding answers now.
new york city, new york news, sandra bookman
- At least 1 dead, 15 hurt in East Harlem explosion 1 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Photos: East Harlem explosion 20 min ago
- LI hospital warns of possible blood contamination
- Crime down across New York City, except in parks
- Trial begins for New Jersey man accused of killing daughter
- NYC rape-murder cannibal conspiracy trial headed to jury
- New Jersey bank robber caught after forgetting keys
- Elderly jaywalker roughed up during arrest due in court
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- No winner: Mega Millions jackpot surges to $353 million
- Happy Birthday! Idea that spawned internet turns 25