New York News
Parents say baby died in hospital after overdose
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Parents say what started out as a visit to an emergency room, ended with their son in a coma and days later, dead.
The family says the baby was given an iv drip and administered the antibiotic azithromycin and almost immediately had a negative reaction.
"Right away I see his eyes turn blue and his lips were blue," said the boy's mother Ummay Sultana.
Soon after the baby lapsed into a coma, and was placed on life support until Tuesday.
The family now says Amaan died of an overdose of the antibiotic.
And a hospital discharge summary appears to support that claim, acknowledging 500 mg of the azithrromycin was given in error.
His parents say it should have been 80.
"They have no professionalism&my baby's only 6 months old," said the father.
In a statement, Brookdale Hospital would only say "We are investigating the circumstances of this tragic incident and express our condolences to the Ahmmad family."
But the grieving parents are demanding answers now.
new york city, new york news, sandra bookman
- Retired NYPD officer charged in wife's murder 5 min ago
- AccuWeather: Seasonable Stretch 26 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Far Rockaway fire leaves 2 children dead
- Photos: Deadly fire in Far Rockaway
- NJ police investigating deadly skydiving accident
- Former boxer Rubin "Hurricane" Carter dies at 76
- Suspect arrested after body found in container
- Flight makes emergency landing with cracked windshield
- Preparations underway for Boston Marathon
- Transcript reveals confusion over ferry evacuation
- Photos: Easter 2014 Around the World
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- AccuWeather: Seasonable Stretch
26 min ago