New York News
Parents say baby died in hospital after overdose
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Parents say what started out as a visit to an emergency room, ended with their son in a coma and days later, dead.
The family says the baby was given an iv drip and administered the antibiotic azithromycin and almost immediately had a negative reaction.
"Right away I see his eyes turn blue and his lips were blue," said the boy's mother Ummay Sultana.
Soon after the baby lapsed into a coma, and was placed on life support until Tuesday.
The family now says Amaan died of an overdose of the antibiotic.
And a hospital discharge summary appears to support that claim, acknowledging 500 mg of the azithrromycin was given in error.
His parents say it should have been 80.
"They have no professionalism&my baby's only 6 months old," said the father.
In a statement, Brookdale Hospital would only say "We are investigating the circumstances of this tragic incident and express our condolences to the Ahmmad family."
But the grieving parents are demanding answers now.
new york city, new york news, sandra bookman
- 2 elderly residents hurt in Queens home invasion 1 min ago
- AccuWeather: Gusty Wind
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Camilla Parker Bowles' brother Mark Shand dies 37 min ago
- 'Bachelorette' Contestant dies in paragliding accident
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall 38 min ago
- 3 suspects arrested, cop shot at NJ shopping center
- Photos: Garfield police shooting scene in photos
- Abandoned dog rescued and saved by SPCA in Bronxville
- Long Island school bus driver accused of selling heroin
- Cubs celebrate 100th birthday of Wrigley Field
- Attempted luring incident reported in West Nyack
- FBI investigates hoax that sent SWAT teams to house
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall
38 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos