New York News
Wall Street protesters march for solidarity
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Hundreds of Occupy Wall Street protesters marched to City Hall to show support for demonstrators in Oakland, California, involved in a violent clash with police.
Police and the Occupy Wall Street protesters carved-out another night of confrontation.
Police started making arrests when the march from Zuccotti Park first targeted City Hall, and then tried to cross the Brooklyn Bridge.
There was a violent clash at Reade Street and Broadway with at least ten arrests.
But in many cases, police showed incredible restraint.
Protesters screamed and cursed to goad police into extreme action.
Witnesses saw officers being shoved, but staying in control.
Other protesters, who broke off from that march, snarled traffic across lower Manhattan.
In Greenwich Village, though, residents who've had nothing to do with the protests complain that overwrought police are abusing them.
Earlier Wednesday, Occupy Wall Street protesters held a speak-out and march in New York City targeting the health insurance industry.
Several hundred protesters marched Wednesday to the offices at Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield, located near the movement's encampment in Zuccotti Park where they demanded health care for all. They also targeted other health insurance companies.
The march ended at the now-closed St. Vincent's Hospital in Greenwich Village, where they called for the hospital's reopening.
The Catholic-affiliated hospital filed for bankruptcy before closing in April, citing a $1 billion debt. It was sold to a developer who plans to turn it into a walk-in emergency facility and hundreds of luxury apartments.
(The Associated Press contributed to this report)
new york city, occupy wall street, wall street protest, wall street, times square, new york news
- Man shot multiple times in Nassau County 26 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Comfortable
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- At least 6 hurt when car jumps curb in East Village 11 min ago
- Robbery suspect dead in Brooklyn police shooting
- Natura recalls all brands of dry pet food
- Woman allegedly kicks police dog in teeth
- TWA Flight 800 crash investigators want new probe 11 min ago
- Vince Flynn, best-selling author, dies 5 min ago
- Slim Whitman, country singer, dies
- Photos: East Village bodega crash 27 min ago
- Photos: Most endangered historic places
- Photos: Bear the police dog
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos