New York News
Person of interest in custody in E. Harlem murder
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The person of interest in the brutal murder of an elderly woman inside her apartment in East Harlem is now in police custody.
The victim, 73-year-old Julia Hernandez, was apparently suffocated. Her body was found bound by her daughter.
Police have identified and released a photo of a person of interest in the case. They took 35-year-old Gregory Velez into custody just after 7 p.m. on Wednesday.
Friends of the victim tell Eyewitness News that Velez has a daughter with the victim's granddaughter, Jasminda Otero Hernandez. That makes Velez the father of the victim's great granddaugther, who is believed to be around 10 years old.
Julia Hernandez was described as an energetic grandmother, a beloved member of her family and a fixture in her community. Now, police say it appears she may have been killed for her flat screen TV.
Hernandez' daughter found her in her ninth floor apartment at the Wagner Houses on East 120th Street. Police say Hernandez had been suffocated, her head wrapped in plastic. Her feet were bound with a scarf, and her cash, some jewelry and TV were gone.
"When I walked in, I went to the neighbor's house to get the key," daughter Jeannette Hernandez said. "My mother was dead on the floor. She seemed like they had suffocated her, and they had her tied up. It was an apparent robbery. They stole several items from the apartment
Hernandez had lived at the Wagner Houses for half a century.
Police are reportedly are questioning a neighbor who saw a man entering the apartment.
"A beautiful older woman, who was born and raised here," Jasminda Otero Hernandez said. "Everyone knew her. Everyone loved her. Everyone knows her. Why would they do this awful thing to her? I hope you enjoy your flat-screen TV. I really do. I hope you enjoy it."
new york city, east harlem, murder, new york news
- Photos: Bronx River Parkway crash
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix 40 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Wintry mix causes slick roads, massive pileup 15 min ago
- NJ Transit cross-honoring tickets system-wide
- Nelson Mandela memorial set for Tuesday in Soweto
- Obama to pay tribute to Mandela in South Africa
- Tough new NYC cockroaches can withstand winter cold
- MTA announces new safety measures after derailment
- Princeton to begin meningitis B vaccinations Monday
- Joe Torre elected to Baseball Hall of Fame 1 min ago
- Photos: AccuWeather Forecast in pictures 17 min ago
- Photos: Wintry Mix Hits Tri-State Area 10 min ago
- Wintry mix causes slick roads, massive pileup
15 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix
40 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos