New York News
Off-duty cop jumped, loses gun in Riverside Park
NEW YORK (WABC) -- An off-duty police officer fired shots at a suspect and lost his gun after being jumped in Riverside Park overnight.
The incident, which happened and 91st and Riverside, is under investigation.
Police are searching the park for the suspect. They used extra manpower and even a helicopter to try and find him.
Initially, there was apparently some sort of assault between the officer and the suspect. When that happened, the officer reportedly reached for his gun and began firing. The suspect was not hit. Then, during a scuffle, the officer lost his gun and suffered a minor head injury.
The suspect got away.
Officers arriving on the scene were able to find the gun. However, they are still looking for the suspect.
The off-duty officer described him as wearing a black hoodie with a gold dollar sign printed on the front of it.
Anyone with information is asked to call police.
new york city, riverside, police officer injured, police shooting, new york news
- School bus collides with taxi in Brooklyn
- AccuWeather: March Roller Coaster 45 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Fed investigators probe Port Authority chairman
- Missing Brooklyn boy found safe on subway
- Metro-North worker fatally struck by train in NYC 36 min ago
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- Malaysian plane mystery continues
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- Oheka Castle owner speaks out in video
- Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp closure begins
- Phil Jackson likely taking Knicks job, ESPN reports
- Photos: Brooklyn school bus accident
- AccuWeather: March Roller Coaster
45 min ago