New York News
Off-duty cop jumped, loses gun in Riverside Park
NEW YORK (WABC) -- An off-duty police officer fired shots at a suspect and lost his gun after being jumped in Riverside Park overnight.
The incident, which happened and 91st and Riverside, is under investigation.
Police are searching the park for the suspect. They used extra manpower and even a helicopter to try and find him.
Initially, there was apparently some sort of assault between the officer and the suspect. When that happened, the officer reportedly reached for his gun and began firing. The suspect was not hit. Then, during a scuffle, the officer lost his gun and suffered a minor head injury.
The suspect got away.
Officers arriving on the scene were able to find the gun. However, they are still looking for the suspect.
The off-duty officer described him as wearing a black hoodie with a gold dollar sign printed on the front of it.
Anyone with information is asked to call police.
new york city, riverside, police officer injured, police shooting, new york news
- Authorities: Hofstra student killed by police
- AccuWeather: Showers Show Up
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- 1 winning ticket sold for record Powerball jackpot
- Teen fatally shot on Queens bus
- U.S. Air plane makes belly landing at Newark Airport
- Vito Lopez says he will resign effective Monday
- Official: Broken rail eyed in Metro North crash
- Police say fatal Greenwich Village shooting a hate crime
- Oxbow wins the Preakness Stakes
- Pacers knock out Knicks with win in Game 6
- Photos: Belly landing at Newark Airport
- Photos: Metro North trains collide in Connecticut
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos