New York News
Off-duty cop jumped, loses gun in Riverside Park
NEW YORK (WABC) -- An off-duty police officer fired shots at a suspect and lost his gun after being jumped in Riverside Park overnight.
The incident, which happened and 91st and Riverside, is under investigation.
Police are searching the park for the suspect. They used extra manpower and even a helicopter to try and find him.
Initially, there was apparently some sort of assault between the officer and the suspect. When that happened, the officer reportedly reached for his gun and began firing. The suspect was not hit. Then, during a scuffle, the officer lost his gun and suffered a minor head injury.
The suspect got away.
Officers arriving on the scene were able to find the gun. However, they are still looking for the suspect.
The off-duty officer described him as wearing a black hoodie with a gold dollar sign printed on the front of it.
Anyone with information is asked to call police.
new york city, riverside, police officer injured, police shooting, new york news
- Young boy shot in foot in the Bronx 33 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Murder-suicide shooting at NJ nail salon 49 min ago
- Water line floods three Midtown building basements 49 min ago
- Jersey City water main break isolated; Water back on
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky 40 min ago
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway
- 1 of 2 winners in $636 Mega Millions jackpot comes forward
- LI man arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults 40 min ago
- Photos: Massive car pileup on Gowanus Expressway
- Victim in Short Hills Mall shooting laid to rest
- Blind man and dog rescued will stay together
- Young boy shot in foot in the Bronx
33 min ago
- Water line floods three Midtown building...
49 min ago
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky
40 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos