New York News
Worker dies after Brooklyn building collapse
NEW YORK (WABC) -- One worker was killed, three others and a firefighters suffered injuries after an under construction apartment complex collapsed on Tuesday.
Three workers were trapped in the rubble at 2929 Brighton 5th Street just before 3:00 p.m.
Firefighters worked quickly to free the men and get them to the hospital. One who was critically injured later died at Coney Island Hospital. His name was not immediately released.
The other two workers pulled from the rubble remained in the hospital Tuesday night. A fourth worker and a firefighter suffered minor injuries.
The apartment building was under construction and four stories tall before it's collapse, authorities said.
Buildings Department spokesman Tony Sclafani says inspectors would return to the scene on Wednesday to investigate the cause and whether improper procedures played a role in the collapse. He says work permits were issued in July, 2011 and that there were no open violations.
new york city, new york news
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall 58 min ago
- AccuWeather: Windy and cooler
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 3 suspects arrested, cop shot at N.J. shopping center 38 min ago
- Photos: Garfield police shooting scene in photos
- US deploys 600 troops to Ukraine border nations 32 min ago
- Oh my! NYPD's request for cop photos goes awry
- One dead, another rescued in Long Island fire
- Not so fast! Palcohol not approved by federal government
- Passengers step up to help elderly man in bus brawl
- 13-year-old shooting victim released from hospital
- Hoax sends SWAT teams rushing to Long Beach house
- Brooklyn hit and run suspect identified by police
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos