New York News
Worker dies after Brooklyn building collapse
NEW YORK (WABC) -- One worker was killed, three others and a firefighters suffered injuries after an under construction apartment complex collapsed on Tuesday.
Three workers were trapped in the rubble at 2929 Brighton 5th Street just before 3:00 p.m.
Firefighters worked quickly to free the men and get them to the hospital. One who was critically injured later died at Coney Island Hospital. His name was not immediately released.
The other two workers pulled from the rubble remained in the hospital Tuesday night. A fourth worker and a firefighter suffered minor injuries.
The apartment building was under construction and four stories tall before it's collapse, authorities said.
Buildings Department spokesman Tony Sclafani says inspectors would return to the scene on Wednesday to investigate the cause and whether improper procedures played a role in the collapse. He says work permits were issued in July, 2011 and that there were no open violations.
new york city, new york news
- 4 more bodies pulled from rubble in East Harlem 24 min ago
- AccuWeather: Polar Vortex returns for 1 day
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- East Harlem explosion: More on the victims 25 min ago
- Water main eyed in East Harlem gas explosion 8 min ago
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Roof blows off Mount Olive Bed, Bath and Beyond
- Haverstraw condo complex evacuated due to gas leak 52 min ago
- Major delays on NJ Transit after Newark tanker explosion 21 min ago
- Photos: Newark tanker fire
- Suspect in terrifying Brooklyn sex assault caught on camera
- Surveillance in Upper Manhattan attempted rape
- Alleged drunk driver rams crowd, kills 2 at SXSW in Texas