New York News
Police make progress in anti-Semitic vandalism case
MIDWOOD (WABC) -- The people of Midwood wanted this case solved as soon as possible, and it looks like progress is being made by police.
Late Monday afternoon as patrol cars cruised Ocean Parkway, Eyewitness News has learned that detectives are making progress.
"We are very optimistic that we can catch these people, and when we do, we are going to prosecute them with enhanced penalties because a hate crime raises the amount of time you can go to jail. So, it's a very active investigation and I'm confident that we're going to have a resolution," Brooklyn District Attorney Charles Hines said.
The flaming cars set an entire community on edge. The hateful graffiti left little doubt about the motive.
Investigators believe that several vandals were involved. Fingerprints and DNA recovered from beer bottles found at the scene could help identify them.
"People out everywhere are very concerned, I have never seen this kind of concern in terms of an anti-Semitic incident," New York State Assemblyman Dov Hikind said.
"I've been living here for 35 years and I've never seen anything like this," said Carmen Mejia, a Midwood resident.
Mejia is Puerto Rican and says she is just as concerned as anyone else.
But for Holocaust survivors the image of the burning cars is profoundly painful.
"They killed my father, my mother, three sisters, aunts and uncles, and we all went to Auschwitz," said Hymie Steinmetz, a Midwood resident. Hymie Steinmetz lives just down the street.
"It brings back memories of what the Nazis did. I tried to erase my memory of what I went through," Steinmetz said.
new york city, brooklyn, vandalism, arson, new york news, n.j. burkett
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall
- AccuWeather: Windy and cooler 12 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 3 suspects arrested, cop shot at NJ shopping center 17 min ago
- Photos: Garfield police shooting scene in photos
- US deploys 600 troops to Ukraine border nations 58 min ago
- Video shows burglar cashing in lotto tickets in Queens 14 min ago
- Jet stowaway spent hours undetected before flight 53 min ago
- NYC among 15 cities being considered for 2016 DNC 34 min ago
- Hoax sends SWAT teams rushing to Long Beach house
- 13-year-old shooting victim released from hospital
- Oh my! NYPD's request for cop photos goes awry
- Photos: A look back at the 1964 World's Fair
- AccuWeather: Windy and cooler
12 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos