New York News
Livery driver found shot to death in car in Queens
NEW YORK -- As police investigate the death of a livery cab driver, there's a call for greater focus on livery cab safety.
Police and The New York State Federation of Taxi Drivers confirm the driver was unlicensed and uninsured to drive.
Investigators have not ruled this homicide.
His family and people who live here are waiting for answers.
Police got the 911 call just before 8 a.m. saying a livery cab driver was shot in the head four blocks from Rockaway Park.
Officers found Patrick Hall, 30, slumped over in the driver's seat of a white Ford Crown Victoria at Beach 32nd Street and Lewmay Road in Edgemere.
His cousin, Malcolm Shortt says it's heartbreaking news for his family.
"He was a great person. He had the kindest heart," Shortt said.
The New York State Federation of Taxi Drivers is offering a $1,000 reward for information about his death.
The federation represents livery drivers who are dispatched by radio to customers and cannot pick up people who hail them on the street.
"We continuously tell our drivers not to pick up street hails until we have a vehicle designed, similar to the yellow cars, where you have a bullet proof partition," Fernando Mateo from the NYS Federation of Taxi Drivers said.
So far no arrests have been made.
Anyone with information on the case should contact the Crime Stoppers hotline at 1-800-577-TIPS.
(The Associated Press contributed to this report.)
new york city, rockaways, queens, shooting, new york news, carolina leid
- Teen clerk beaten in deli robbery; $30,000 stolen 18 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and Cold
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Man claims football players beat him in Soho club
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent to psych hospital
- 6 dead, 290 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- Photos: Spring snow around New York area
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on "The View"
- Drugs stashed in hiding places in Manhattan apartments
- Surprise field day for kids from burned-down school 50 min ago
- College Board provides a glimpse of new SAT 25 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos