New York News
Dark Knight causes nightmare on Queensboro Bridge
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Batman may be a superhero to some, but for many drivers in Queens, he's turned into their archnemesis.
Filming may be a revenue source for the city and a magnet for gawkers and celebrity seekers, but for drivers trying to cross the Queensboro (59th Street) Bridge this weekend, it has been a nightmare.
The streets around the Queensboro Bridge have been filled with road rage, road closures and road detours since Friday.
Motorists can thank Hollywood for Gotham's headaches.
All weekend long, the new Batman movie, 'The Dark Knight Rises', has been rising on the 59th Street bridge, filming on the upper two levels.
Even though it wasn't during weekday rush hour, there's still a healthy enough flow of traffic on the weekends to clog city streets on both the Manhattan and Queens sides of the bridge.
Motorists are not exactly happy about paying the price for Batman to save the city.
Our cameraman caught a livery driver so frustrated he went up the wrong way on 2nd Avenue just to get out of this traffic.
Of course, compounding the road closures for the movie are more road closures from construction work.
The upper roadway was reopened Sunday night after filming concluded.
new york city, queensboro bridge, movie, new york news, lucy yang
- Rescuers continue scouring rubble in East Harlem
- AccuWeather: Cold, but milder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- East Harlem explosion: More on the victims
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Long Island cab driver accused of exposing himself to girl
- Woman steals Dorothy's ruby slippers from SI hotel
- Plane emergency reported at Philly airport
- Photos: Pictures from PHL after landing gear collapse
- Records: Man in movie theater shooting also was texting 23 min ago
- Man in 'Modern Family' star groping appears in Australia court 32 min ago
- NH woman finds lost cat in pet store 4 years later 8 min ago
- $353 million up for grabs in Mega Millions drawing Friday 5 min ago