New York News
NYC couple target of prank 911 calls
INWOOD (WABC) -- Police are investigating a series of prank 911 calls that target a Manhattan couple.
Mamadou and Assetou Sy live in the Dyckman Houses in Inwood.
They say that over the past two years, they have received more than 150 fake emergency calls to their door.
Police, showing up to their apartment, for a list of made-up emergencies: fake fires, fake gunshots, fake injuries.
Emergency responders have been showing up more frequently in recent months, the Sys say sometimes three times a day.
"I'm scared for myself, for my family. I don't want [anything] to happen," Mamadou Sy said.
Earlier this month police played a recording of some of the 911 calls to the couple.
They could not identify the voice.
"We don't know who's doing this. We never fight with anybody in the building, after 17 years we never fight with nobody," Assetou Sy said.
Police say the caller is putting lives at risk by placing the phony calls.
But police say they will continue to respond every time a call is made.
"We can never not go. We will always go," NYPD Deputy Inspector Kim Royster said.
Police have flagged the Sys address as they investigate.
new york city, inwood, new york news
- AccuWeather: More snow Saturday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Charges expected in fraternity death
- Nassau County police commissioner ousted 28 min ago
- Barrios-Paoli tapped to head health and human services
- Woman twerking serves as lookout for alleged burglar
- Sandy victims turn year of loss into season of giving
- Some from Newtown join vigil at National Cathedral 24 min ago
- Budget vote approved in the House 51 min ago
- Mandela interpreter says he was hallucinating
- Golden Globes nominations announced
- Photos: 60 photos of Golden Globe nominees