New York News
Mayor brings cookies to NYPD, FDNY near ground zero
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Mayor Michael Bloomberg began his day by giving thanks to New York City police and firefighters.
Bloomberg said Thanksgiving is about family, as well as helping others. Then, he backed up his words.
Before the turkey dinner, Bloomberg spent Thanksgiving breakfast with first responders near Ground Zero.
"Thank you guys for keeping us safe," he said.
He brought along some cookies, a sweet token of his appreciation.
"I brought these from Gracie Mansion," he said. "The chef there always likes to make cookies."
He also shared his own reasons for gratitude.
"I'm just thankful to be a part of the city," he said. "I think it's the most wonderful place in the world."
The mayor also made stop at the 9/11 memorial site to give thanks for those who volunteer and work to keep it open 365 days a year.
"On holidays like Thanksgiving and Christmas, that's when people think about think about their loved ones, about those who are no longer with them," the memorial's Joe Daniels said.
It's a day of focusing on family, but also, Bloomberg says, to be grateful for those missing Thanksgiving dinner in order to keep us safe, and those who sacrificed so much more.
"We should be reminded of how lucky, and how people around the world want to take away our freedoms," he said. "So we have a lot to be thankful for on Thanksgiving."
For anyone wanting to spend part of Thanksgiving at the 9/11 memorial, tickets still available.
new york city, thanksgiving, fdny, nypd, michael bloomberg, new york news
- 4 more bodies pulled from rubble in East Harlem
- AccuWeather: Polar Vortex returns for 1 day
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- East Harlem explosion: More on the victims
- Water main eyed in East Harlem gas explosion
- Photos: East Harlem explosion 12 min ago
- Roof blows off Mount Olive Bed, Bath and Beyond 35 min ago
- High winds damage power lines, Bed, Bath & Beyond store 29 min ago
- Haverstraw condo complex evacuated due to gas leak
- Major delays on NJ Transit after Newark tanker explosion
- Photos: Newark tanker fire
- Surveillance in Upper Manhattan attempted rape
- Alleged drunk driver rams crowd, kills 2 at SXSW in Texas 38 min ago