New York News
Broker for would-be Times Square bomber sentenced
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A man unwittingly swept up in a failed terror plot to bomb Times Square last year was sentenced on Thursday to three years' probation.
Mohammad Younis had pleaded guilty to charges he arranged an illegal transfer of $7,000 to Faisal Shazad - money Shazad claimed that the Pakistani Taliban provided to fund his one-man strike against New York City.
Younis and his brother in Pakistan were part of underground money transfer system known as hawala, authorities said. When the Times Square attack was in the planning stages, Younis' brother sent him the cash that he delivered to Shazad at a Long Island railroad station.
Prosecutors in federal court in Manhattan acknowledged that Younis never knew about Shazad's plot. But they argued that a potential sentence of up to six months would be appropriate to deter money transmissions that could fund terrorism.
Attorneys for the Pakistan-born Younis asked for leniency, describing him as a working-class immigrant who posed no danger.
"I'm really sorry," Younis told the judge before he was sentenced. "It will not happen ever, ever again."
Shazad is serving a life sentence after admitting he built a car bomb he left in Times Square to avenge U.S. military intervention in Muslim countries. The bomb malfunctioned but still spread fear throughout the city.
new york city, faisal shahzad, times square bomb, new york news
- Man claims football players beat him in Soho club 54 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and Cold 30 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey 2 min ago
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent to psych hospital 5 min ago
- 6 dead, 290 missing in South Korea ferry disaster 27 min ago
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads 6 min ago
- Photos: Spring snow around New York area
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on "The View"
- Sketch released of suspect in East Village sex assault
- Teen clerk beaten in Astoria deli robbery; $30,000 stolen 30 min ago
- Camera catches Bronx home invaders using victim's card
- College Board provides a glimpse of new SAT
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
6 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and Cold
30 min ago
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent...
5 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos