New York News
Fetus in trash, NYC woman accused of self-abortion
NEW YORK -- New York City police say a 20-year-old woman has been arrested on a charge of self-abortion after her fetus was discovered in a garbage bin.
A person familiar with the investigation says police are probing whether the woman drank an herbal concoction billed as an abortion-causing tea. The person spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss details not made public.
Police say Yaribely Almonte was arrested Wednesday and released with an order to appear in court in January. It wasn't clear if she had a lawyer.
The self-abortion charge refers to a woman who forcibly causes a miscarriage when she is more than six months pregnant. In New York, abortion is legal after six months only if it is necessary to save the woman's life.
new york city, abortion, baby, new york news
- Metro North train collision to affect service all week 20 min ago
- AccuWeather: Humid week ahead, with showers
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Suspect in critical condition after NJ police shooting
- Tornadoes slam Midwest; 1 dead in Oklahoma
- Hofstra remembers Andrea Rebello as probe continues
- Tipping dispute leads to assault outside LI nightclub 39 min ago
- Rally planned after West Village hate crime murder
- Winning Mega Millions ticket sold in New Jersey
- Florida city anxious to learn Powerball jackpot winner
- Photos: Photos from the Billboard Awards
- Photos: Tornado rips through Oklahoma
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Metro North train collision to affect...
20 min ago