New York News
Fetus in trash, NYC woman accused of self-abortion
NEW YORK -- New York City police say a 20-year-old woman has been arrested on a charge of self-abortion after her fetus was discovered in a garbage bin.
A person familiar with the investigation says police are probing whether the woman drank an herbal concoction billed as an abortion-causing tea. The person spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss details not made public.
Police say Yaribely Almonte was arrested Wednesday and released with an order to appear in court in January. It wasn't clear if she had a lawyer.
The self-abortion charge refers to a woman who forcibly causes a miscarriage when she is more than six months pregnant. In New York, abortion is legal after six months only if it is necessary to save the woman's life.
new york city, abortion, baby, new york news
- Snowstorm moves into New York area
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos 42 min ago
- Photos: Viewer snow storm pictures 42 min ago
- Photos: AccuWeather Forecast in pictures
- NJ Transit trains back on schedule after earlier delays 4 min ago
- Snow coming down in New York City 58 min ago
- New Jersey getting hit with another dose of snow
- Snow falling on Long Island 18 min ago
- World leaders, South Africans honor Mandela at memorial 16 min ago
- Woman beaten up, robbed on Harlem subway platform
- Port Authority relocating owls that are threat to planes
- Photos: Nelson Mandela Memorial Service 21 min ago
- Snow coming down in New York City
58 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos