New York News
1 dead, 1 injured in Crown Heights apartment fire
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A man in his 50s was killed in a fatal fire in Crown Heights, Brooklyn, Thursday morning.
A second man, a 59-year-old visitor to the dead man's apartment, was taken to Kings County Hospital with smoke inhalation. That man was believed to be intoxicated at the time of the fire.
The cause of the fire was under investigation and initially labeled suspicious by firefighters.
The second-floor apartment, where the fire is believed to have started, appears to have been illegally divided into four rooms. The building's narrow hallways also made it difficult for firefighters to fight the flames as they spread to the upper levels.
The building has a history of violations, the most recent in April of this year.
new york city, crown heights, brooklyn, deadly fire, fire, new york news
- Newark bus crash leaves 9 hurt, 1 critically
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead 59 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Photos: Bus, taxi collide in Newark
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved in breach 9 min ago
- Young boy shot in foot in the Bronx
- US-India relations chilled over diplomat arrest in NYC 11 min ago
- Murder-suicide shooting at NJ nail salon
- LI man arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults
- Victim in Short Hills Mall shooting laid to rest
- 1 of 2 winners in $636 Mega Millions jackpot comes forward
- Most Fascinating People of 2013 revealed
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved...
9 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
59 min ago
- US-India relations chilled over diplomat...
11 min ago