New York News
Solemn farewell being planned for slain NYPD officer
BROOKLYN (WABC) -- Five men accused of being involved in the deadly shooting of a New York City police officer are being held without bail Wednesday.
Meanwhile, a solemn farewell is being planned for the officer who died in the line of duty in Brooklyn.
There were hundreds shared tears and prayers for Officer Peter Figoski at a vigil Tuesday night near the shooting scene in Cypress Hills.
"We're coming together, one community, one family today," community advocate Tony Herbert said. "Because when one officer bled, we all bled. And we're all still feeling the pain right now. To all the police officers out here, be encouraged. We need you out here."
The slain officer's family left court Tuesday night after seeing five career criminals indicted for murder. The accused triggerman, 27-year-old Lamont Pride, said nothing, but he's already told police the plan was to invade the home of a drug dealer and that the shooting was a mistake.
It all went south when Figoski and his partner arrived.
"The choice he made was to potentially shoot and kill a police officer," prosecutor Kenneth Taub said.
The five defendants range in age from 21 to 30, and prosecutors say all five could spend the rest of their lives behind bars.
"We see what kind of cowards they are in this courtroom," PBA president Pat Lynch said. "That they sniveled before this judge, they asked for protective custody. They thought they were tough when they killed a New York City police officer."
The New York City Police Foundation has established a scholarship fund in Figoski's name. The fund will pay for the education of his four daughters.
Pride is charged with first-degree murder. The four other men were arraigned on second-degree murder charges.
Another of the defendants, Nelson Morales, was described as the mastermind behind the plot.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
police officer killed, cypress hills, brooklyn, new york city, west babylon, crime, police officer shot, shooting, new york news, anthony johnson
- 2 killed in motorcycle accident in Queens
- AccuWeather: Record Warmth
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
- Teen who was shot at Colorado school dies
- Biker killed in Bronx collision
- LI burglary foiled by man watching on webcam in China
- GWB repair work will close upper level lanes
- Long Island driver charged with DWI in hit and run
- Target offers discount, free credit monitoring after data breach
- Knicks lose to Grizzlies, 95-87
- Video: Holiday shoppers enjoying warm weather
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall