New York News
Family, friends attend slain NYPD officer's wake
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Mayor Michael Bloomberg joined the heavy mass of mourners Sunday night to pay tribute to slain NYPD Officer Peter Figoski.
They were all there to pay their respects, to grieve with the family, to salute Officer Figoski.
The 47-year-old police officer was fatally shot last week during a botched robbery in Cypress Hills, Brooklyn.
For 21 years, Figoski responded to the worst of calls and patrolled the worst of streets.
For 21 years, he made a difference.
And then, that horrific and shattered moment when he was shot in the head.
For the officer's four grieving daughters, thus begins the long and tortured process of saying farewell to their personal hero.
By all accounts, he was a devoted father.
He worked the overnight shift so he could be with them during the day.
Two of his daughters are now in college; two are still in high school.
Figoski's former partner of ten years said Figoski was a great dad.
"You couldn't get a more doting father. His four lovely daughters they were his life," Former NYPD officer Ricky Giordano said.
Figoski spent his career in the rough and tumble 75th precinct.
He spent a career racking up commendations, which apparently, he never told anyone.
Really, it seems, he just wanted to be a good guy and a great dad.
And he was.
"Here's an officer taken from us in the prime of his life, killed for simply doing his job. He was responding to a call, never had a chance to defend himself," Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly said.
Funeral Mass will be held Monday morning at 11:00 a.m. at St. Josephs Church, 39 North Carll Avenue, Babylon, NY.
Police arrested five suspects in connection to the shooting.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, brooklyn, police officer killed, police officer shot, new york news, lucy yang
- Nelson Mandela dies at 95 23 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Unseasonably Warm Air 1 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Photos: Nelson Mandela through the years
- Mandela's influence felt in New York City 11 min ago
- VIDEO: Obama remembers Mandela
- L train signal problems in Brooklyn 18 min ago
- Bill Bratton named next Police Commissioner
- Photos: Bill Bratton, next NYPD Police Commissioner
- Police search for suspect in Brooklyn shooting 28 min ago
- Search for suspects in subway attack on two women
- Derailment victim, James Ferrari, laid to rest
- Knicks crush Nets 113-83
- Former South African President Nelson...
22 min ago
- Local dignitaries react to the passing of...
10 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Unseasonably Warm Air
1 min ago
- New Yorkers share thoughts on Nelson...
8 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos