New York News
Woman killed in wrong way crash in the Bronx
MIDDLETOWN (WABC) -- One woman was killed when she crashed into a tractor trailer while driving the wrong way on the Bruckner Expressway in the Bronx.
The 25 year old was driving northbound in the southbound lanes when her vehicle slammed into the tractor trailer just after 3:00 this morning.
The tractor-trailer jackknifed into a fence, blocking all the southbound lanes, causing massive inbound delays for the morning commute.
The woman, the only person in the 2011 Hyundai Sonata, was pronounced dead at Jacobi Medical Center.
Detectives believe she drove at least a half mile in the wrong direction, with cars swerving around her, before the crash.
The woman's crushed car was apparently filled with a lifetime of personal mementos, including a signed photo of Derek Jeter.
The tractor-trailer driver was treated for non life threatening injuries.
The southbound lanes of the Bruckner were closed for more than four hours, backing up traffic to the city line for the morning commute.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, bronx, middletown, accident, wrong way driver, new york news
- AccuWeather: More snow Saturday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Charges expected in fraternity death
- Search for hit and run driver in fatal crash
- LIRR, NJT ban booze ahead of Santacon
- Mayor-elect de Blasio to visit White House
- Nassau County police commissioner ousted
- Budget vote approved in the House
- Some from Newtown join vigil at National Cathedral
- Sandy victims turn year of loss into season of giving
- Golden Globes nominations announced
- Photos: 60 photos of Golden Globe nominees