New York News
NYC pays out $1.8 million in 2010 blizzard claims
NEW YORK -- New York City's sluggish response to the after-Christmas blizzard of 2010 is still costing it a year later.
The City Comptroller's Office says more than $1.8 million has been paid out in claims so far, and more claims are pending.
Last year's Dec. 26-27 storm packed a wallop in the Northeast.
It dropped more than 2 feet of snow in some parts of the city.
Mayor Michael Bloomberg's administration was criticized for its handling of the foul weather and its aftermath. Streets went unplowed for days, and cars, buses and other vehicles were stranded.
The comptrollers' office says the largest settlement so far was $150,000 for a man who said he had fallen in a parking lot that had become icy after it was improperly shoveled by the city.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, holiday blizzard, new york news
- 4 people shot in Brooklyn
- Photos: Accuweather maps for possible Sunday snow storm
- AccuWeather: Cold, but milder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Surveillance from East Harlem buildings near explosion
- raw video: New video just after East Harlem Explosion
- East Harlem explosion: More on the victims
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- East Harlem Explosion: How to Help
- Sketches released of suspects wanted in lurings
- Bus driver suffers medical emergency, 2 injured
- ESPN: Phil Jackson signs with Knicks
- Westchester animal shelter in danger of collapsing
- Photos: Several vehicles on fire in New Jersey