New York News
Tourist tries to check loaded gun at WTC memorial
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A gun-toting tourist from Tennessee learned the hard way that you're not allowed to carry guns in New York City, even with an out-of-state license.
Police say 39-year-old Meredith Graves tried to check her gun a week ago during a visit to the September 11th memorial. Graves noticed a sign that said "No guns allowed," so she asked police where she could check her loaded pistol. She was arrested on a gun-possession charge.
Now, she's facing 3 1/2 years in prison.
The medical student was in town for a job interview.
She was released on $2,000 bail.
Graves has a legal permit to carry a weapon in Tennessee, but New York's gun laws are stricter.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, world trade center, new york news
- South Plainfield High School on lockdown 11 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Queens third grader fatally struck by truck 1 min ago
- Teen dead, 2 sisters critical in Brooklyn fire 35 min ago
- Bronx fire leaves brothers dead, 3 firefighters hurt 9 min ago
- Photos: Deadly fire in the Bronx
- LI nativity theft being investagated as hate crime
- Target data breach leaves customers angry, frustrated
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
- Friday marks Walcott's last day while schools in session
- 9-year-old bowler in Florida tosses perfect 300
- Photos: Staten Island quintuplets through the years
- Bronx fire leaves brothers dead, 3...
9 min ago