New York News
Tourist tries to check loaded gun at WTC memorial
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A gun-toting tourist from Tennessee learned the hard way that you're not allowed to carry guns in New York City, even with an out-of-state license.
Police say 39-year-old Meredith Graves tried to check her gun a week ago during a visit to the September 11th memorial. Graves noticed a sign that said "No guns allowed," so she asked police where she could check her loaded pistol. She was arrested on a gun-possession charge.
Now, she's facing 3 1/2 years in prison.
The medical student was in town for a job interview.
She was released on $2,000 bail.
Graves has a legal permit to carry a weapon in Tennessee, but New York's gun laws are stricter.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, world trade center, new york news
- Mom 'steals' car - without even realizing it
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly 20 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Man claims football players beat him in Soho club
- N.J. woman charged with trying to kill her 3 children
- Firefighters rescue 80-year-old man from Bronx fire Wednesday...
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent to psych hospital
- 7 dead, 290 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- Photos: Spring snow around New York area
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on "The View"
- Drugs stashed in hiding places in Manhattan apartments
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
20 min ago