New York News
Tourist tries to check loaded gun at WTC memorial
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A gun-toting tourist from Tennessee learned the hard way that you're not allowed to carry guns in New York City, even with an out-of-state license.
Police say 39-year-old Meredith Graves tried to check her gun a week ago during a visit to the September 11th memorial. Graves noticed a sign that said "No guns allowed," so she asked police where she could check her loaded pistol. She was arrested on a gun-possession charge.
Now, she's facing 3 1/2 years in prison.
The medical student was in town for a job interview.
She was released on $2,000 bail.
Graves has a legal permit to carry a weapon in Tennessee, but New York's gun laws are stricter.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, world trade center, new york news
- Brooklyn Bridge reopens after car fire 25 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain and clouds
- Eyewitness News Live
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Weather puts damper on start of holiday weekend 6 min ago
- 3 more men arrested in slaying of British soldier in London
- Thousands run final mile of Boston Marathon
- Sandy-damaged New York Aquarium reopens this weekend
- Long Island 'Hot Dog Hooker' arrested again
- French soldier stabbed in throat outside Paris
- Christie and Snooki face off at Jersey shore
- abcnews: Cruise Passenger Bill of Rights Introduced
- Photos: Circle 7 at GMA's Summer Concert Series
- Photos: Boston Marathon Last Mile
- Kickoff to a Long Island Summer today!
32 min ago