New York News
New officers get first depoyment in Times Square
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Crowd control in Times Square on New Year's Eve is the dubious first assignment for 1,500 newly appointed NYPD officers.
The rookies graduated from the police academy just two weeks ago.
Times Square will be their first major deployment, and no doubt a test of their patience and people skills.
They will be part of a massive security force on duty in Times Square Saturday.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, nypd, times square, new year's eve, new york news
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Sketch released in Upper East Side jewelry robbery
- NYC mayor to announce Sandy recovery reforms
- Man arrested in Queens anti-Muslim harassment on bus
- Pair robs 4 Brooklyn banks in 2-hour span
- Queens serial robber caught on surveillance camera
- Man caught on camera using cloned ATM card 7 min ago
- BridgeGate panel could call Gov. Chris Christie to testify 59 min ago
- New York political leader Basil Paterson dies at 87 7 min ago
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014 47 min ago