New York News
Occupy protesters rally in NYC's Grand Central
NEW YORK -- About a hundred Occupy Wall Street protesters rallied in New York City's Grand Central Terminal to call attention to a law signed by President Barack Obama that they say could curb civil liberties.
The protesters gathered in the main concourse of the station Tuesday where they held a noisy rally as hundreds of commuters rushed by.
A Metropolitan Transportation Authority spokeswoman says two summonses were issued and three people were arrested on charges of disorderly conduct.
Obama signed the National Defense Authorization Act into law on New Year's Eve. Civil rights groups have criticized provisions in the bill that they say seem to grant the military extraordinary powers to detain U.S. citizens indefinitely without trial.
The protesters held a series of actions Tuesday designed to call attention to the law.
You can watch YouTube videos of the protest taken by Melina Vargas:
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, wall street protest, new york news
- Missing 11-year-old Brooklyn boy possibly found 11 min ago
- AccuWeather: March roller coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- Metro-North worker fatally struck by train in NYC 8 min ago
- 4-year closure of Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp begins
- Search continues for missing plane; 2 flew on stolen passports
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- UWS street to be renamed after 4-year-old Ariel Russo
- NY-native bank robbery suspect nabbed after selfies
- UCONN sophomore accuses sorority sisters of hazing
- CT hockey referee arrested after removing child from ice
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act
- Missing 11-year-old Brooklyn boy possibly...
11 min ago