New York News
Occupy protesters rally in NYC's Grand Central
NEW YORK -- About a hundred Occupy Wall Street protesters rallied in New York City's Grand Central Terminal to call attention to a law signed by President Barack Obama that they say could curb civil liberties.
The protesters gathered in the main concourse of the station Tuesday where they held a noisy rally as hundreds of commuters rushed by.
A Metropolitan Transportation Authority spokeswoman says two summonses were issued and three people were arrested on charges of disorderly conduct.
Obama signed the National Defense Authorization Act into law on New Year's Eve. Civil rights groups have criticized provisions in the bill that they say seem to grant the military extraordinary powers to detain U.S. citizens indefinitely without trial.
The protesters held a series of actions Tuesday designed to call attention to the law.
You can watch YouTube videos of the protest taken by Melina Vargas:
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, wall street protest, new york news
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix 59 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Snow changes to rain and ice, causing slick roads 12 min ago
- Is school closed or delayed? Find out fast: Here's how!
- NJ Transit cross-honoring tickets system-wide
- New warning about potentially dangerous toys
- MTA announces new safety measures after derailment 5 min ago
- New York City unveils interactive map of major crimes
- New Jersey black bear hunt set for Monday 31 min ago
- Paul Walker memorial draws thousands in California 23 min ago
- Photos: Wintry Mix Hits Tri-State Area
- Photos: Bronx River Parkway crash 44 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix
59 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos