New York News
Mom suspected of killing little girl
BEDFORD-STUYVESANT (WABC) -- Homicide detectives say it appears a young girl was stabbed to death at the hands of her mother inside an apartment in the Bedford-Stuyvesant section of Brooklyn.
The two-and-a-half year-old girl, who was found bleeding in the arms of her rambling, incoherent mother, had been stabbed in the jaw and head inside a Putnam Avenue apartment just after 4:00 Friday morning.
Investigators said she may been choked as well. There were strangulation marks around her neck, they said.
Cathryn Nwegbo was rushed to Woodhull Hospital where she was pronounced dead.
Authorities said the child's troubled mother, 29 year old Brandis Nwegbo, blamed the death on demons and God not being there to help.
She was undergoing psychiatric evaluation.
Authorities went to the family's home early Friday after getting a report that someone might be trying to jump off the roof.
They went first to the roof, but saw no one and noticed a trail of blood that led them to a lower floor apartment. Inside, they found the girl and her mother.
The apartment was in disarray, a fish tank was broken nearby.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, brooklyn, bedford-stuyvesant, child death, crime, new york news
- Elderly couple hurt in Queens home invasion 10 min ago
- AccuWeather: Gusty Wind
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Camilla Parker Bowles' brother Mark Shand dies 48 min ago
- 'Bachelorette' Contestant dies in paragliding accident
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall 49 min ago
- 3 suspects arrested, cop shot at NJ shopping center
- Photos: Garfield police shooting scene in photos
- Abandoned dog rescued and saved by SPCA in Bronxville
- Long Island school bus driver accused of selling heroin 10 min ago
- Cubs celebrate 100th birthday of Wrigley Field
- Attempted luring incident reported in West Nyack
- FBI investigates hoax that sent SWAT teams to house
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall
49 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos