New York News
Mom suspected of killing little girl
BEDFORD-STUYVESANT (WABC) -- Homicide detectives say it appears a young girl was stabbed to death at the hands of her mother inside an apartment in the Bedford-Stuyvesant section of Brooklyn.
The two-and-a-half year-old girl, who was found bleeding in the arms of her rambling, incoherent mother, had been stabbed in the jaw and head inside a Putnam Avenue apartment just after 4:00 Friday morning.
Investigators said she may been choked as well. There were strangulation marks around her neck, they said.
Cathryn Nwegbo was rushed to Woodhull Hospital where she was pronounced dead.
Authorities said the child's troubled mother, 29 year old Brandis Nwegbo, blamed the death on demons and God not being there to help.
She was undergoing psychiatric evaluation.
Authorities went to the family's home early Friday after getting a report that someone might be trying to jump off the roof.
They went first to the roof, but saw no one and noticed a trail of blood that led them to a lower floor apartment. Inside, they found the girl and her mother.
The apartment was in disarray, a fish tank was broken nearby.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, brooklyn, bedford-stuyvesant, child death, crime, new york news
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking 17 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Elderly pedestrian hit by two cars in Harlem
- Third grader killed in accident, truck driver charged
- Car dealer charged after selling Sandy-damaged vehicles
- NJ Transit train disabled inside Hudson River tunnel
- Man stabbed on 2 train in Bronx
- GWB repair work this weekend
- Pan Am 103 bombing anniversary marked by memorials 4 min ago
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
- NASA astronauts begin urgent spacewalking repairs
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
17 min ago