New York News
Investigation into billboard that fell onto BQE
Greenpoint (WABC) -- Investigators are looking into whether the strong wind had anything to due with a billboard collapse on Friday.
Time is what it will take to dismantle the steel structure that was brought down in an instant.
The wind is thought to be a contributing factor.
"It just took seconds, like it was a bomb or something," said John Vasquez, an eyewitness.
You can see how quick the billboard collapses in a security camera video.
A Polish newspaper that rents space in a building nearby caught the moment on camera showing the sign crashing down.
That explosion of steel came as the 50 ton billboard toppled, violently shaking the Greenpoint neighborhood.
Some of the steel and advertising fell onto and blocked a lane on the BQE.
Another large portion of twisted support beams hung over Meeker Avenue.
"My building shook when I heard the noise, so I don't know what the hell was going on, I thought the building fell down," said Tim, an eyewitness.
"It was a lot of noise, a lot of debris, and the next thing you know, it was just boom," Vasquez said.
A large center pole heavily damaged an auto body shop.
Fire officials don't know the exact cause of the collapse but believe the wind played a role.
"I'm sure that was a contributing factor at the time. Winds were 25 to 30 miles per hour with gusts to about 40," said Deputy Chief Robert Strong, FDNY.
"I saw my billboard was gone. I said, 'Uh oh! The billboard is gone,'" said Ann Marie, an eyewitness.
The high winds were also responsible for bringing down limbs.
One came down in the Mott Haven section of the Bronx.
It fell onto a car and did a little damage.
"It was windy enough that if you had an umbrella it would have been 'Mary Poppins' out here," said Kenneth Soto, a neighbor.
No one was injured.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, brooklyn, collapse, wind damage, new york news, tim fleischer
- Elderly couple hurt in Queens home invasion 9 min ago
- AccuWeather: Gusty Wind
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Camilla Parker Bowles' brother Mark Shand dies 47 min ago
- 'Bachelorette' Contestant dies in paragliding accident
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall 48 min ago
- 3 suspects arrested, cop shot at NJ shopping center
- Photos: Garfield police shooting scene in photos
- Abandoned dog rescued and saved by SPCA in Bronxville
- Long Island school bus driver accused of selling heroin 9 min ago
- Cubs celebrate 100th birthday of Wrigley Field
- Attempted luring incident reported in West Nyack
- FBI investigates hoax that sent SWAT teams to house
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall
48 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos